• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air Medal Display Question

ControlledBurn

ERAU Student
I'm building a shadowbox of my father's awards for him for Christmas, in his list of awards he rates an Air Medal with Arabic Numeral One Strike Device.

I'm wondering if anyone out there knows how in the hell you mount the 1 on the medal exactly. I know on the ribbon it goes to the far right on the right orange block (As you look at the ribbon) I'm assuming it goes there on the medal also, but the medal has no place to push through to the other side. Does anyone have any tips on doing this?

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
ControlledBurn said:
I'm building a shadowbox of my father's awards for him for Christmas, in his list of awards he rates an Air Medal with Arabic Numeral One Strike Device.

I'm wondering if anyone out there knows how in the hell you mount the 1 on the medal exactly. I know on the ribbon it goes to the far right on the right orange block (As you look at the ribbon) I'm assuming it goes there on the medal also, but the medal has no place to push through to the other side. Does anyone have any tips on doing this?

Yes! Okay, it's very simple. Take a toenail clippers and clip off the prongs. Then sand it down to a flat surface. Then use a glue of choice to attach it to the ribbon. I personnaly use elmers glue (it dries clear) as does ultra thin. I would also do this with any ribbons. It simply looks more professional and you don't have to worry about the device moving around. Also, use the prongs that you clipped off to apply the glue. Don't try to go directly from the bottle to the device, it won't work well. Then, unless you have really tiny hands use a pair of tweezers to apply the device to medal/ribbon.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
DO NOT put the numeral on the gold stripe on the medal. It should be centered, in the middle of the blue field.

"On the suspension ribbons of the large and miniature medals, the numerals are placed symmetrically immediately below the center of the suspension ribbon."

(from USMC uni reg, same same for USN)

if you still can't figure it out, pm me and I'll send you a pic

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
zab1001 said:
DO NOT put the numeral on the gold stripe on the medal. It should be centered, in the middle of the blue field.

"On the suspension ribbons of the large and miniature medals, the numerals are placed symmetrically immediately below the center of the suspension ribbon."

(from USMC uni reg, same same for USN)

if you still can't figure it out, pm me and I'll send you a pic

Exactly, a combat V would be centered horizontally and vertically on the medal ribbon. A strike flight numeral is centered horizontally, but below the center vertically.

Direct quote from the Navy Regs on Air Medal devices (for the medal):

6. Strike/Flight Numerals. Personnel receiving Strike/Flight awards of the Air Medal wear a bronze 5/16 inch Arabic numeral on the Air Medal indicating the total number of awards received after 9 April 1962. Position numerals on the ribbon bar of the Air Medal as far to the wearer's left as possible without overlapping the edge. On the suspension ribbons of large and miniature medals, place the numerals symmetrically below the center of the suspension ribbon.

7. Single Mission/Individual Awards. Personnel receiving Single Mission/Individual awards of the Air Medal wear a 3/16 inch bronze star on the Air Medal for first award, and 5/16 inch gold stars for second and
subsequent awards. For initial award only, center the bronze star. When second award is earned, replace the bronze star with a gold star. If wearing Bronze Letter "V" (Combat Distinguishing Device), center "V" on the ribbon bar and arrange stars symmetrically in relation to the "V"; first star to the wearer's right, second to left, etc. On the suspension ribbons of large and miniature medals, center the Bronze Letter "V" directly below the
Single Mission/Individual star/stars

All the medal regs are in Chapter 5. Figure 5-3-11 on page 5-58 has a diagram. http://buperscd.technology.navy.mil/bup_updt/508/unireg/uregMenu.html

Direct link to the diagram: http://buperscd.technology.navy.mil/bup_updt/508/unireg/chapter5/chapter_5.htm#fig_5_3_11 Air medal is in the upper right. Poor resolution but you can clearly see the vertical alignment of the devices on the medals.

str1ck

My questions is who came up with this??? Why isn't an Oak Leaf Cluster centered in the middle of the ribbon good enough? I think its a litlle extreme to have to break out tools, sand paper, and glue to mount a device on a ribbon. I understand that the Navy has two different Air Medals but couldn't the device just go in the center of the ribbon.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's a shame the Air Medal doesn't mean what it meant in your dad's day anymore
Personally, I still consider the Air Medal, both single-action, or strike/flight, as a prestigious award, regardless of the era in which it was earned, or how it is regarded by today's military members. Yes, I am from most of your GrandDad's era!:eek:

Although the requirements to be awarded the AM have changed (eased?) over time, it is unfair to AM awardees of all eras, to have their award considered to be valued higher or lower than any other era.;) JMHO!:p
2-AM #1.jpg
BzB

str1ck

Didn't really come here to discuss the Merits of the Award. I can tell you that I earned mine. I am mostly commenting on how goofy the Navy Reg is when it comes to mounting the device on Air Medal ribbon for strike/flight awards.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ControlledBurn, fabulous idea, your Dad will treasure it ( beats hell out of the 'duty' paisley tie)!;)

My Daughter Colleen had a great shadowbox made, and presented it to me on my birthday last year. It was very much appreciated.:D
Colleen & B'day Shadowbox   12-05-'13.jpg
BzB

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

The criteria has been looser in the past at times than it is now, this book has an excellent history of medals for the US naval services and it cites several examples of much looser criteria for several medals in the past. Even Chuck Yeager lameted in his autobiography that Army helo pilots would get a point for every flight they had in combat just like him, the difference being that Yeager's flights were usually 5 hours or more where the helo guys in Vietnam could fly 5 minutes from base to base and log a flight getting loads of strike/flight Air Medals. Even non-aircrew qual'd, all you have to do is look at the official photos of Army folks who served in Vietnam and notice that plenty of them have Air Medals and even DFCs even though they were an infantry/artillery/engineer officer.

As one well-known member often said, "The more things change....".

Last edited:

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You do realize there's a difference between a strike/flight AM and an individual AM, right? Granted, going downtown over Hanoi is not the same as drilling holes in the sky over Afghanistan, but still. I would argue an individual AM still takes some doing, especially with a combat V.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
You do realize there's a difference between a strike/flight AM and an individual AM, right? Granted, going downtown over Hanoi is not the same as drilling holes in the sky over Afghanistan, but still. I would argue an individual AM still takes some doing, especially with a combat V.

Yes. My comment wasn't directed at the OP, just on the Air Medal itself.