• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS AI versus F-16 Pilot

Hair Warrior

Contributor
This faux dogfight is dumb. AI will win in the air-to-air because it’s not affected by G’s, doesn’t sleep, doesn’t get tired, flies an airframe that isn’t weighed down by things like O2, HUDs, canopies, or ejection seats, and is expendable.

Also - Zoom? DARPA and JHU-APL should know better...

Last edited:

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
This faux dogfight is dumb. AI will win in the air-to-air because it’s not affected by G’s, doesn’t sleep, doesn’t get tired, flies an airframe that isn’t weighed down by things like O2, HUDs, canopies, or ejection seats, and is expendable.

Also - Zoom? DARPA and JHU-APL should know better...
It's approved now, I just rehacked my active shooter the other day.
https://www.zoomgov.com

And to your point about it being dumb, you're right, but for the wrong reasons: Missiles can out g anything.

HuggyU2

None
Maybe they should have worn their ascots.
I like the ascot. Keeps my neck cool on a hot day.

And it's a lot more comfortable than the 1960's excuse-of-an-ejection-seat-harness that they make my Navy/Marine friends wear.

Not to mention... if you're a triple jet ace, you don't really give a shit what anyone else thinks about your fashion statement.

Last edited:

Hair Warrior

Contributor
And to your point about it being dumb, you're right, but for the wrong reasons: Missiles can out g anything.
Right. But, my point was more about how new unmanned air superiority airframes could be designed from the ground up for high altitude, high speed, high endurance, high maneuverability, low RCS, low cost, small size, expendable, etc. because it no longer needs to fit a person or try to defend itself.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I like the ascot. Keeps my neck cool on a hot day.

And it's a lot more comfortable than the 1960's excuse-of-an-ejection-seat-harness that they make my Navy/Marine friends wear.

Not to mention... if you're a triple jet ace, you don't really give a shit what anyone else thinks about your fashion statement.
View attachment 27163
AI pilot wins again...this time with a fashion kill!

taxi1

pilot
You're missing the point of the exercise, although everything you say is true.

In the old days of, for example, missiles, humans programmed the missiles to behave the way they do. A bunch of transfer functions and algorithms. So in a way, humans were still "flying" the missiles. You could work backwards from the maneuvers you saw to the lines of code and parameter settings that caused it.

With the AI, you just set it up to learn from scratch how to fly. It fails and crashes millions of times (in simulation) before it starts to succeed, then gets better, then gets more better. At no point in the training can you trace its actions in flight to weights in the neural network. It's pretty much BFM (not Basic Fighter Maneuvering either). It can learn things that humans haven't thought to try, and therefore wouldn't have thought to program in.

Obviously there were a ton of safeguards inserted into this thing, so its not a pure borg. But super cool nonetheless.

We did a project where we taught an AI-controlled glider to dynamically soar. It came up with a trajectory that no one had contemplated. Minds were blown.