• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

age limit for marine aviation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

java

What is the age limit on getting a flight slot with the marines and how long does the precess from start of application to training typically take? I've been trying the air force and have everything I need for that but after running into some bad snafu's they've kindly shown me the door. Thanks.

JF

They say "no more than 27.5 when commissioned." I need an age waiver myself. Hopefully I'll get it. I am only 28 and I'll have just turned 29 when commissioned. I ve been told they primarily look at 3 things when determining whether to grant the waiver 1) your PFT (the higher the better) and 2) what you have been doing with your life i.e. why didn't you do this before the age of 27.5? and 3) are you prior service.
Anyone have any additional insight? Anyone gotten in on an age waiver?

Rainman

pilot
I've got a waiver. I suppose the idea is if one is five years older, the Corps needs to make sure they can compete physically. I've known about seven to receive an age waiver (without prior service) and none that got denied for it. I made mention to what I did (besides college) in my statement and how it would help me to be a successful officer.

Dave Shutter

JF...I've met non-prior, Marine SNA's at the ages of 30 and 32. Couldn't tell you what was on their app's, but they were both in excellent shape with perfect vision, so it's possible.

JF

Thanks for the info! I ve got a good PFT and good enough eyesight for NFO.
Joshmountain - did you get your waiver recently in anticipation of going to OCS in the next class or did you go through OCS some time ago?

Rainman

pilot
Originally posted by JF

Joshmountain - did you get your waiver recently in anticipation of going to OCS in the next class or did you go through OCS some time ago?

I went in 2000.

JF

Cool. The reason I ask is that I ve heard waivers are hard to come by now, with the "logjam" at OCS/TBS and what not.

Rainman

pilot
Yeah, that's possible. I would think you'd be given every opportunity to prove yourself if you could compete physically (ie good PFT). Of course we are all just guessing here. I'd say a good PFT + make mention in your statement what you've been up to and how you would be a better officer because of it. Can't turn down that logic, right?

java

How long does the process take, that is, getting all the paperwork done and getting the age waiver IF I'd even be considered?

Rainman

pilot
for me there wasn't any extra wait. It took about a month to find out I could attend the next OCS class. I really don't think the age thing is an issue for USMC. The rest of the pkg needs to stand up to the number of slots they have. So, I guess we're hearing presently lots of applicants and not a lot of slots. .. .hmmmmmm. .. just send it in. Drink some brews and watch the tropical storms. Speculation can't help.

Status
Not open for further replies.