• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

After OCS...

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Flyingwonder

I am a Geology major with two years of school left. I really want to become a Naval Aviator but I also really want to get an advanced degree in Geology. If I were to go to OCS after graduation and then to flight training, I was just wondering if I would be allowed to go back to school and get my PhD in Planetary Geosciences or if only engineers got to go back to school. I really want to do both, and I would go to grad school first but I would be at least 27 when I graduated and I don't want to miss out on the opportunity to fly those beautiful high performance jet aircraft. (Or helos, it doesn't matter to me.)

Can anyone help me?
williamtell_125.gif

Hudson

You can go back to school once you are in and better yet often times the Navy will pay for you to do it. Thay have a lot of good programs to take advantage of.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Flying Wonder,
While the Navy does have a lot of fully funded grad school opportunities, the chances of you being able to get your PHD in Planetary Geosciences doesn't look good. Surface and sub guys can get masters while on shore duty at a ROTC unit or recruiting station, plus Naval Post grad slots are open too. Aviators, however, have a trickier time, since any duty that takes you out of the cockpit is a bad deal. You may get to go to War Colleges and things like that, but getting a Doctorate while on active duty is pretty much unheard of. A masters is more likely, but like I said, you may have to go part-time while on shore duty. Another thing to consider is using the GI Bill after you get out of the Navy to pursue your doctorate.

Meridiani

Grad school will always be there. The opportunity to become a naval aviator may not. Just keep that in mind.

1W2gtH

If you want to know the whole skinny on the programs to get a higher education while in active duty, talk to an OSO (officer selection officer) he/she can fill you in on more details.

F

Flyingwonder

What about age does it make a major difference whether you are 23 or 27 when you apply?

Meridiani

You must not have reached your 27th birthday by the time you commission through OCS for an SNA slot. Check out my profile--I myself have an advanced degree in Geology, and I just missed the age cutoff for SNA.

Status
Not open for further replies.