• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Advice on getting mental health waiver?

JKC@

I really want to become a military pilot and always thought I was medically clear because of perfect vision and lack of physical health issues. Ive done research and it seems I am in a very tough position because I took prozac while in high school. I ignorantly had a problem with intrusive thoughts so I saw a free school psych and then added another issue to my future plans. He later told me I really should have never seen him if I wanted to become a pilot. So im wondering if anyone here was in my situation and ended up succeeding.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Starting multiple threads on the same subject is generally not going to get you an answer more quickly or completely. It's always better to add to an existing thread, especially if it's one you started.

Recommend mods merge.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Merged. One thread at a time please. If our merry band of hooligans threadjacks a thread, we still don't generally object to more posts on the original topic.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Hi I'm a 20 year old college student and I'm interested in becoming a naval aviator after I graduate. However I have taken Prozac for a combined six month for OCD(intrusive thoughts only) and Depression. I have not taken them since I started college.
I am a little worried about intrusive thoughts seeming very strange on paper as I think its a misunderstood condition.
I will say that I am genuinely in a much better state of mental health as I stopped being a adolescent I read that 42% of Generation Z suffers from a condition(not sure if that includes self diagnosis but it seems accurate to me).
Too my knowledge those are the two waivers I need for NAMI/N3M.

I still worry about getting past NAMI I have heard OCD is very rare to get a waiver for. I believe my case is about the most minor case of OCD you can have as I just had mental rituals and nothing physical such as tapping or anything like Howard Hughes.
The Depression was certainly a strong case but it stopped my senior year.
They made me extremely miserable for a while but I was still an above average student and worker.

From what I have seen I should just get notes and good recommendations' from my doctors?
Also I know there's no real percent chance but I'm still curious what you guys think.

You should engage an officer recruiter directly to start navigating the process officially.
I’d also consider looking at Air Force and Army aviation.

cjd114

The short answer is "it depends". Some types of depression (e.g. "major depressive disorder, severe, recurring") cannot be waived, but some less severe types can. I don't know about OCD one way or the other.

The best thing for you to do is going to be to talk to a recruiter. Having your own medical records at hand will make it easier, because you'll need to submit them to the Navy anyway.
DIAGNOSIS/ICD-10 Code: F32.0 Major Depressive Disorder, Single episode, mild F32.1 Major Depressive Disorder, Single episode, moderate F32.2 Major Depressive Disorder, Single episode, severe F32.9 Other Specified Depressive Disorder The above diagnoses are disqualifying for aviation. Waiver may be requested when the member has been completely asymptomatic in a “Fit for Full Duty” status for a minimum of six months after completion of all treatment. Designated Members are eligible for waiver consideration while on maintenance pharmacotherapy. Applicants will not be considered for a waiver if on maintenance pharmacotherapy. Please see Section 18.7 of the ARWG for full details.

This is from NAMIs 2021 waiver guide.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
DIAGNOSIS/ICD-10 Code: F32.0 Major Depressive Disorder, Single episode, mild F32.1 Major Depressive Disorder, Single episode, moderate F32.2 Major Depressive Disorder, Single episode, severe F32.9 Other Specified Depressive Disorder The above diagnoses are disqualifying for aviation. Waiver may be requested when the member has been completely asymptomatic in a “Fit for Full Duty” status for a minimum of six months after completion of all treatment. Designated Members are eligible for waiver consideration while on maintenance pharmacotherapy. Applicants will not be considered for a waiver if on maintenance pharmacotherapy. Please see Section 18.7 of the ARWG for full details.

This is from NAMIs 2021 waiver guide.

Ugh. Another "single post, no profile info, I'm going to tell these guys on the internet what is up" post.

If you know enough to know what you're talking about then you know better than to do this. If you don't, go away.

cjd114

Ugh. Another "single post, no profile info, I'm going to tell these guys on the internet what is up" post.

If you know enough to know what you're talking about then you know better than to do this. If you don't, go away.
Sorry I just got into this stuff. I realize I came off as arrogant. Apologies!

cjd114

What are your credentials? Why should people on this site listen to you? This isn't reddit.
I understand. I apologize. I posted that because it brought me some confusion. An encounter with an OSO made it sound like I was able to apply (even potentailly get a waiver) even with a prior depressive episode. I realize I don't have any ground to stand on and I shouldn't have injected myself here.