• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Advice Going Forward Please

blackflag10

I took the ASTB today and scored a 5/5/6 which is not qualifying for pilot for Marine Corps. I will be retaking it next month. What specifically should I do to raise that Pilot Score. I feel like a lot of the questions that I had no idea about were not on any study guides that I looked at.

Thanks

Green11

Living the dream
When I took the ASTB, I was surprised at some of the questions they expected people to know who had no flown before. My advice would be to go to the nearest flight school and buy two books. They are The Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge and The Airplane Flying Handbook. The former is a little thick, but if you like aviation, it's not bad to get through because it's interesting. They have a wealth of relevant information that could help you on the ASTB. Good luck on the next one.

Sapper!

Excuse the BS...
You can save a few buck by downloading both the books mentioned above for free from the FAA website, although I do like FAR hardcopy that I can carry around to study (not that I have carried it around and actually studied)

Echo24

I'm Pilot.
pilot
In order of importance: Study Math, Mechanical, Aviation knowledge, Reading, Spacial Apperception. Math and mech are where you earn your dinner, and aviation knowledge is your own personal whip cream on top. It shows how much you as an individual are interested in aviation and aviation knowledge. Reading and Spacial apperception are so basic that you should not have to spend much time studying for them. They are also both things you cannot really memorize and just have to be ready and know how to approach them logically.

My score 9/9/9 67 OAR (second try) Form 4. GOOD LUCK!

LLLLL

There is a PDF on here somewhere which highlights the particular pages to read on the Pilots handbook. This will save you a bunch of time and help focus you on what you know. I used it and it worked for me. If you can't find it message me and ill send it to you.

LLLLL

Here it is. Can;t remember where I found it but def credit to the person who put it togther. Worked for me, hope this helps.

Attachments

• pilot-handbook-toc highlighted.pdf
    982.2 KB · Views: 33

that mike guy

JSUPT primary @ VAFB, Enid, OK
In order of importance: Study Math, Mechanical, Aviation knowledge, Reading, Spacial Apperception. . . words

+1 for the most part. The Navy knows that (and expects that you will be able to) study and learn the aviation knowledge down the road; they know that most people without an aviation background are not going to know all of the ins and outs of the aviation knowledge/supplemental sections. It will make you look better for the board, but the things that can't be easily memorized and regurgitated are the most important parts (and what make up the OAR). Go to your local college book store/Amazon and pick up an introductory physics book and an algebra review book; getting through these sections quickly and accurately is the best way to improve your chances. Only after you can get through the math and mechanical sections with time to spare should you worry about the aviation supplemental sections.

I would add that the SA section, while not a part of the OAR, is important; if this stuff totally stumps you, spend the time figuring it out because you will need it down the road.

JonSmith89

Another 60R Driver
pilot
I just took the test today and scored a 5 6 5 44. I know for a fact that the reason I did poorly was the lack of studying the math and mech sections. Any suggestions to take test 4 or 5?

JonSmith89

Another 60R Driver
pilot
In order of importance: Study Math, Mechanical, Aviation knowledge, Reading, Spacial Apperception. Math and mech are where you earn your dinner, and aviation knowledge is your own personal whip cream on top. It shows how much you as an individual are interested in aviation and aviation knowledge. Reading and Spacial apperception are so basic that you should not have to spend much time studying for them. They are also both things you cannot really memorize and just have to be ready and know how to approach them logically.

My score 9/9/9 67 OAR (second try) Form 4. GOOD LUCK!

What were your test scores on the first test?