• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Advice for Aspiring Naval Aviators

Flyboy12345

I am 26 Years Old and on Active Duty in the U.S. Navy. I am currently a Junior in College Majoring in Mechanical Engineering with a minor in Aerospace Engineering. I am highly devoted to becoming a Pilot or Naval Aviator, I've got my Private Pilot License and currently working on my Instrument Rating with 200 Hours under my belt so far. I am feeling uneasy though because with me being 26 years old and the cut off age being 27 I know my window is closing. I am going to have to soon decrease the amount of classes I'll be taking because my ship will be going on Sea Trials, but within a year I'll have to decide if I want to re-enlist, go to shore duty, finish my degree and apply for Naval OCS and Naval Aviation there or get out finish my degree and apply for Naval OCS and Naval Aviation as well as Air Force Officer Training School as a Pilot or Marine Corps OCS as an Aviator in order to heighten my chances of getting selected for a pilot for either branch. I know that I might fall to the needs of the Navy or other services but I firmly believe I can be highly effective in Aviation. I am aware that I can get an age waiver up 32 years of age by that is on a case by case basis. What would you recommend that I do to heighten my chances of becoming a pilot and getting an age waiver or do you believe it is too late for me now and I should give up (Please give me hope)?

NevarYalnal

I am 26 Years Old and on Active Duty in the U.S. Navy. I am currently a Junior in College Majoring in Mechanical Engineering with a minor in Aerospace Engineering. I am highly devoted to becoming a Pilot or Naval Aviator, I've got my Private Pilot License and currently working on my Instrument Rating with 200 Hours under my belt so far. I am feeling uneasy though because with me being 26 years old and the cut off age being 27 I know my window is closing. I am going to have to soon decrease the amount of classes I'll be taking because my ship will be going on Sea Trials, but within a year I'll have to decide if I want to re-enlist, go to shore duty, finish my degree and apply for Naval OCS and Naval Aviation there or get out finish my degree and apply for Naval OCS and Naval Aviation as well as Air Force Officer Training School as a Pilot or Marine Corps OCS as an Aviator in order to heighten my chances of getting selected for a pilot for either branch. I know that I might fall to the needs of the Navy or other services but I firmly believe I can be highly effective in Aviation. I am aware that I can get an age waiver up 32 years of age by that is on a case by case basis. What would you recommend that I do to heighten my chances of becoming a pilot and getting an age waiver or do you believe it is too late for me now and I should give up (Please give me hope)?
wherever you're getting your info on age limits is outdated. there is no age waiver required as long as you commission by 32 full stop. you have several years before you would even need to worry about that.

Flyboy12345

wherever you're getting your info on age limits is outdated. there is no age waiver required as long as you commission by 32 full stop. you have several years before you would even need to worry about that.
Thank you NevarYalnal, I feel more relaxed knowing that I've still got time.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
there is no age waiver required as long as you commission by 32 full stop
Is that the case for SNA? Do you have a reference for that, because that's a significant change and I'd be interested to update my own knowledge if that is, in fact, the case.

NevarYalnal

Meyerkord

pilot
As previously mentioned, you have until age 32 to commission into Naval aviation. Not sure if the Air Force is any different, but at least you know you have some time to work things out.

The biggest factors that play into the selection boards are your GPA and ASTB scores, so make sure you’re not slacking off in school and study for the ASTB when the time comes to take it. There’s a lot of good study tips and guides on this site that’ll help you prepare.

I’m not too sure how the application process works if you’re active duty, but I know there can be some headaches along the way, so I’ll let someone else chime in on that part.