• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Advanced Maritime to Reserves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluesmobile

P-3 copilot
pilot
Rumor has it that when you get winged in the P-3 pipeline, you might be headed to a reserve squadron and fly other multiengine aircraft instead (C-130, C-12, C-9, etc). I think a majority of the recently winged aviators will still be headed for the P-3 FRS, but some will go elsewhere as active reserves. Anybody have any info on this?

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You're in prop advanced right now, has anyone winged been sent to a reserve squadron lately? Where's your gouge coming from? That's pretty big news, and sending an active duty O-1 or O-2 to a reserve squadron would require some kind of TAR set up. That and those guys aren't hurting for people by any means (and if they are, where can I sign up...). Is there some kind of back-up at the FRS or is the Maritime Pipeline clogged up right now? Going active in a reserve squadron as a newbie would suck pretty bad, since everyone is severely senior to you. I had an old squadron buddy get a C-12 station pilot at a large NAS (name withheld for his well-being) and he said the already limited flight hours were being sucked up by the reserve guys trying to build time, not to mention getting drive-by tasking all day every day. I'd also be pretty pissed about not going to the fleet.

A few years ago, they sent a bunch (ok, like 5-7) of new Navy wingers to the USCG to fly Falcons, since there was a huge gap in their pipeline. Those guys did 3 yrs with them, and then followed on with P-3 FRS and a fleet tour. That's all good, but that also burned thier initial commitments, and if they wanted to stay in, no shore tour, straight to the boat baby.

bluesmobile

P-3 copilot
pilot
The rumors are coming from the students in advanced...I haven't started yet, and don't class up until next month. There have been quite a few P-3 slots selected in the past few months (4 of the 8 slots in my squadron's selection were P-3, and this has been fairly common), so I would guess the FRS could be looking at a backup, if they don't have one already. Anybody nearing their winging date that can shed some light on this?

As for my preference, I would definitely choose the fleet over the reserves option...I really wouldn't feel like I was in the Navy if I went straight from flight school to being someone's chauffer. Definitely not what I envisioned my career to be like when I signed the paper...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Like Zab said, the reserve squadrons already have a bunch of out of work airline pilots scrambling for time, I doubt they would send a brand new wingee there. If they did, expect to be bi#$% boy/girl when you are there, even O-3's are rare, almost everyone is an O-4 or above.

As for the C-12's, they are getting rid of some of them. Whidbey got rid of theirs in May or June.

Ofcourse, who am I to dispute the word of a flight student? They are just as infallible as a new boot camp grad or API stud.

Status
Not open for further replies.