• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Add our 3 scores and divide by 3??

maxlife

What is your experience when taking the PFT, do they take your scores and divide by 3 to come up with your performance category-level? My present unit requires a good low on each event but my run times suck while my curl-ups and push ups are in the excellent range. What is the right way??

gtxc2001

See what the monkey eats, then eat the monkey
pilot
Contributor
The way I read the policy was that your overall was equal to your lowest individual event, assuming you are talking about the PRT.

the Navy no longer uses the point system and rates individual PRT performances based on the lowest achieved in each individual event. For example, if you scored excellent-low in push-ups and curl-ups, but scored only satisfactory-medium in the timed-run, your overall score would be satisfactory-medium.

However, being a PFT type of guy, somebody else might have better gouge.

BigRed389

None
Every middie I've talked to from various schools was under the averaging system. Take scores, combine, average.

Also, supposedly "in the fleet" you're not required to Good Low, it's required to Sat Medium or something like that. But let's see what the fleet guys have to say on that.

gtxc2001

See what the monkey eats, then eat the monkey
pilot
Contributor
looks like that previous info was out of date. The OPNAVINST 6110.1H, which is the most recent document I could find (15 AUG 05) says "Overall score is category level performance corresponding to the average of points accumulated on PRT events."

- an odious term used by newspapers and girlfriends.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We do the averaging system, but if you don't get a good low in an event you have to go on FEP and internally it's considered that you failed the whole thing.

mkoch

I'm not driving fast, I'm flying low
According to my recruiter, up until a few months ago it was in fact your lowest score was your overall. Now, its apparently back to the average of all 3. However, you still have to pass the minimum in each category. AFAIK (and please correct me if I'm wrong), officer training programs (ROTC, OCS) require "good low" as passing.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
mkoch said:
officer training programs (ROTC, OCS) require "good low" as passing.

OCS requires Excellent Low, and I think USNA does too, because they have to do the run in 10:30...which is X-low for age 20-24

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
The old old PRT (nee PFA, PFT, etc., et al) was ran from pre-1999 (wasn't in before then) up until about May of 2000. Max pushups were 67, max situps were 100. No age tiers until you got to the run/swim, and then it was 10-year tiers. The old PRT ran from May 2000 to October 2002. This was the dreaded lowest score = your overall score version and also introduced 5-year age tiers to all events. In my experience, it led to sandbagging as people would know how well they'd do on their worst event and wouldn't push themselves on the other events. After a while, someone decided the "lowest score = overall score" wasn't good, and that part of the scoring was dropped, leading to the average method that's in use today.

squorch2

pilot
Swimming can be substituted for the run. You'll have to get a swim qualification even if you never swim the PRT, which involves varying levels of proficiency in the water. About.com has a nice summary of the swim qualifications.

maxlife

Wow, seem to be all over the map on this one. If I go into take a PFT today for my BDCP recruiter how will he come up with my score?

squorch2

pilot
The instruction you want to reference is OPNAVINST 6110.1G, most notably Enclosure 7. It details the method used to record, weigh, and average your raw scores into a PRT score such as Good/Low, Excellent/Medium, etc.

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
Av8ok - we do the same thing...

As far as NROTC goes: Our scores are calculated by doing the add em up divide by three method. This score goes down on the paperwork. That being said, if you fail to attain a good-low in any category you're heading for remedial PT.

Good luck on improving your run, I understand that can be frustrating.