• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Active Enlisted Applying for OCS(Intel/SWO)

Good Evening All,

CS1(SW) here, I am unsure if anyone can offer insight into my particular questions. However, I have been working on my package for awhile as I finished my degree and although I am in the final stretch of the process I cannot seem to locate any point of contact on whether a few red flags in my particular medical history is likely to disqualify me from being selected. I will be submitting this package in January no matter what, yet I am just trying to manage my expectations and approach the process realistically.

Next is a more opinion-based question, Being a CS1 does not inherently lend itself to the Intelligence community (I would imagine) and further my 3.02 gpa is not very high...however, with a 56 OAR and already having my TS/SCI, also my O-8 Interview was an IWC Officer and it went very well. In your opinion how do I look for Intelligence Officer Community?

Thanks for your time.

With all Respect,
CS1(SW)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am not close enough to active duty or assessions any more to be helpful. But I would.like to wish you good luck. Love it when we grow our own.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Welcome. There are some existing threads where you can get your questions answered, learn what is considered competitive, and/or read other people's experiences. If you are currently serving, I am not sure why you would have any medical red flags, but there are recruiters and flight docs who occasionally check in and offer advice. Search around.

CWO_change

I can only imagine that your O-8 recommendation/appraisal will help a lot. That is uncommon and if someone who has made Flag is giving you high marks, it very well could make up for other weak areas in your application. But that's just me chatting about what I'd think could happen, not what I know.

exNavyOffRec

I can only imagine that your O-8 recommendation/appraisal will help a lot. That is uncommon and if someone who has made Flag is giving you high marks, it very well could make up for other weak areas in your application. But that's just me chatting about what I'd think could happen, not what I know.

When I first started recruiting I would have thought the same thing, not a single person I submitted that had a flag LOR was picked up. The one that really sticks with me is the uncle of a kid wrote a glowing LOR, the kid was trying to get into the same designator as his uncle, who happened to be a 2 or 3 star.

The OP might have a better show with SWO than Intel given his GPA, but nothing wrong with applying.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Probably matters who the O-8 is. Current active duty RADM probably has a decent amount of pull. Retired RADM Joe from Elmo's era probably not. Maybe exNavy is speaking to the former, in which case I will defer to his experience.

exNavyOffRec

Probably matters who the O-8 is. Current active duty RADM probably has a decent amount of pull. Retired RADM Joe from Elmo's era probably not. Maybe exNavy is speaking to the former, in which case I will defer to his experience.

He was still active at the time he did the LOR and the board happened, he has probably retired since.

Fitzou

I've talked to half a dozen people who have been at or chaired accession boards and each one has a different philosophy.

Hey guys I am looking for a little assistance with obtaining an appraisal for SWO. I am currently an aviation rate working within a squadron and do not know any SWO Officers. I luckily knew a few O6 intel Officers that assisted me with appraisals for Intel but I do not know any SWO Officers. Is there anyone out there that can point me in the right direction, outside of randomly asking Officers prior to them boarding a ship? lol I have spoken with the Intel OCM but there is no information on the SWO OCM. Thanks!

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Hey guys I am looking for a little assistance with obtaining an appraisal for SWO. I am currently an aviation rate working within a squadron and do not know any SWO Officers. I luckily knew a few O6 intel Officers that assisted me with appraisals for Intel but I do not know any SWO Officers. Is there anyone out there that can point me in the right direction, outside of randomly asking Officers prior to them boarding a ship? lol I have spoken with the Intel OCM but there is no information on the SWO OCM. Thanks!
Good luck. Not trying to send you away, but Sailor Bob is a web forum geared toward SWOs. Also, any naval officer will do if they have directly overseen and observed your work for a decent duration.

PhillipC

Good Evening All,

CS1(SW) here, I am unsure if anyone can offer insight into my particular questions. However, I have been working on my package for awhile as I finished my degree and although I am in the final stretch of the process I cannot seem to locate any point of contact on whether a few red flags in my particular medical history is likely to disqualify me from being selected. I will be submitting this package in January no matter what, yet I am just trying to manage my expectations and approach the process realistically.

Next is a more opinion-based question, Being a CS1 does not inherently lend itself to the Intelligence community (I would imagine) and further my 3.02 gpa is not very high...however, with a 56 OAR and already having my TS/SCI, also my O-8 Interview was an IWC Officer and it went very well. In your opinion how do I look for Intelligence Officer Community?

Thanks for your time.

With all Respect,
CS1(SW)

A little late to the game but the LOR from the Flag could help; at that level all the Senior Officers know each other. Our community can be very competitive and your GPA is a little low. You could try to spruce up your packet by taking a no-cost TAD to a Intel heavy command (current command dependent). Good luck!