• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

active duty-> Reserve LIMDU?

c172pic

Hello all. I currently am active duty, ENS, in San Diego on my second LIMDU. I want to know what sources of information are out there for me to use to go from active duty-->RESERVE.

I have scoliosis~42degree's. My only restriction is I cannot stand for long periods of time. It's never stopped me from anything else in life besides standing. I have NOT nor will I do surgery. I am doing routine physical Therapy and chiropracture, which is working fine.

Can anyone help me find the right path to go down to go from active duty->Medical discharge->Reserves?

thank you!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Talk to the Reserve recruiter now. If you actually are discharged for medical, it will be difficult. If you can effect the transfer without a DD213 mentioning medical, you might be ok. Talk to the recruiter NOW!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
There is the issue of coming back to the reserves and the physical they require. Even if nothing is written down from the active side, if they find it on the Reserve side, you'll be on a medical hold and won't be able to come on active duty. I would guess a reserve unit (and especially a hardware unit) might be leery of taking someone who can only drill.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There is the issue of coming back to the reserves and the physical they require. Even if nothing is written down from the active side, if they find it on the Reserve side, you'll be on a medical hold and won't be able to come on active duty. I would guess a reserve unit (and especially a hardware unit) might be leery of taking someone who can only drill.
You have to take a physical to go from active duty to selres? That never was the case. The only guys that took physicals were the guys that went to the IRR or resigned, and came back to the selres. I mustered out in one month and drilled in my new unit the next. But that was over 20 years ago.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You have to take a physical to go from active duty to selres? That never was the case. The only guys that took a physicals were the guys that went to the IRR or resigned, and came back to the selres. I mustered out in one month and drilled in my new unit the next. But that was over 20 years ago.

I admit, I'm not sure when the actual ID of problems occurs, but there's still a medical screening that goes on. Even a SELRES that's currently drilling and tries to transfer to another unit gets screened, one way or the other. This happened to a guy that recently tried to join our unit. He's in the process of sorting out the medical paperwork and once that's done, our unit will accept him.

Now how "thorough" the screening is may vary from unit to unit (and I have no doubt there was some politics amongst the Chief's Mess with this particular situation), but just wanted to make sure the OP goes in with eyes open.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I admit, I'm not sure when the actual ID of problems occurs, but there's still a medical screening that goes on. Even a SELRES that's currently drilling and tries to transfer to another unit gets screened, one way or the other. ...
Really? Things change. I was in four different reserve units over the years and never did anything but take an annual flight physical. What a crock!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Really? Things change. I was in four different reserve units over the years and never did anything but take an annual flight physical. What a crock!

I am totally drawing a blank on the term right now...I don't think it's NPQ, but anyways, when in that status, no active duty. You may get into that status for something as "small" as a Class 4 dental, but I might be making that up. Regardless, it can happen pretty regularly. And just like the REGNAV side, Staffs live and die by medical and dental readiness.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
I am totally drawing a blank on the term right now...I don't think it's NPQ, but anyways, when in that status, no active duty. You may get into that status for something as "small" as a Class 4 dental, but I might be making that up. Regardless, it can happen pretty regularly. And just like the REGNAV side, Staffs live and die by medical and dental readiness.
I think you're referring to a MAS (Manpower Availability Status) code. This is a code that's tracked at the NOSC level that reflects a member's availability for mobilization, and has all kinds of little medical nuances to it. (I've picked up all kinds of administrivia knowledges as an XO....). The NOSC can block transfers or mobilizations if the MAS code is not in order; just one more thing that each unit member has to keep a handle on. The emphasis on medical and dental readiness has gotten a bit silly lately - I'm pretty sure we beat the Germans and Japanese with a nation of bad teeth...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
All true. "TNPQ" was the actual acronym I couldn't come up with. If TNPQ, it's not just mobilizations that you can't do, but all active duty.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Things have changed for good reason in the past few years, with all the Navy Reserve folks being mobilized it has highlighted some issues with the the Reserve's medical readiness. About 20-25% of the Navy Reserve personnel that are getting mobilization orders are 'falling out' and end up not getting deployed, a percentage that has held relatively steady the past few years, the main reason being medical. While those of us who get fight physicals every year usually have fewer issues a lot of reserve folks apparently do have issues that don't crop up in their annual physicals but do when they go through the medical screening for deployment. There are a few people who get medically DQ'd for theater-specific issues or because the medically screening personnel are morons but they seem to be in the minority. I think it is a combination of uneven medical screening throughout the Navy Reserve, people having issues but hiding them and/or the Navy missing them and an older force than the active duty one. But the mobilizations and the medical issues that keep cropping up with them is the reason you are seeing stricter medical stuff in general in the reserve.