• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Abuse of Fallen Marine Pilot's Likeness

FlyingOnFumes

Nobel WAR Prize Aspirant
One of ads that appeared on the 747 Crash thread (www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/747-crash.40560/page-2#post-742616) caught my attention:

This website: www.airlinedatingservice.com/search.py?aff_id=google&aff_pg=3&aff_cp=con-image&aff_adg=airline+dating+service+-+content+-+content+_5217&aff_kw=airline

which airs ads on here appears to be using the photo of Capt. Jen Harris, the fallen Naval Academy grad and "Phrog" driver from OIF, to promote their dating website, probably without either her or her family's prior knowledge or consent:

Modsquad and/or Websan might want to have a "chat" with them about that...

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Thanks for the heads up. I opted out of their ads a couple years ago. Looks like I need to do it again. Appreciate the heads up. John.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlyingOnFumes

Nobel WAR Prize Aspirant
Thanks for the heads up. I opted out of their ads a couple years ago. Looks like I need to do it again. Appreciate the heads up. John.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roger that, sir.

In addition to opting out, the people who run that site deserve a kick in the gonads for using the likeness of a military service member in uniform without the permission of her or her family, let alone a fallen Officer of Marines, killed in combat by a MANPAD surface to air missile... that is is just plain disrespectful of them.

joe dirt

pilot
I just thought you guys would like to know these ads have been popping up again.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 47

Pags

N/A
pilot
I just thought you guys would like to know these ads have been popping up again.
Yeah, I just saw one an hour or so ago.

Unfortunately, I think most "official USN/USMC" photos are public domain, but either way still incredibly tasteless for them to use pics from a deceased service member.

exNavyOffRec

How disrespectful can a company be? The HM1 on her crew was a good friend of a CPO buddy, I think this is the one that almost broke him emotionally.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Thanks for the heads up joe! I will go into the ad server and remove that domain from posting ads here through google.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Guess it's just a screenshot. Can someone send me the website name in pm so I can remove them?

Criminal

God's personal hacky sack
pilot
Just curious, and fully understand and feel the outrage, but has anyone contacted this company about the issue? Depending on different user agreements (from what I understand), you can agree that the company can use your likeness for advertisements. It's not like many people ever read those. I'm not saying what they are doing is right, but when you are freely using 1000's of users info for advertisements, you're bound to screw it up unknowingly. But if they are doing it with knowledge, then yes they are scumbags.
I think it would be in best interest of all, instead of just blocking their content, contact them and get a response. Explain the situation and what you want. They want to be assholes about it then post it and forward their response to everyone we can contact.