• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ability to reassign?

TooTallTatum

So I am going in to take the ASTB tomorrow morning and turn in my BDCP package. My question is, my eyesight is too poor for SNA but I just graze for NFO. I plan on getting into the program as NFO. BUT, if after I get PRK surgery I choose to try to reassign to SNA, what are my chances of that actually happening (given I am qualified)? I am coming up on my sophomore year so time is on my side.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
... BUT, if after I get PRK surgery I choose to try to reassign to SNA, what are my chances of that actually happening ...

Midlothian, wow. Lived in Powhatan for long while, ergo Midlothian was uptown.

To answer your question the probability of gong from SNFO to SNA is about ten to the minus nineth. The practical jokesters hereabout may tell you differently, but chances are slim to none.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
It's all timing based. When I showed up for API they were letting people switch if they had all the requirements for pilot. It lasted a short while. Most people have to put in for a board to select them for it. All of the one's I have seen have been O-3s, just after their first fleet tour. They did the training in place of a shore tour. As mentioned above, the odds are low.

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
So I am going in to take the ASTB tomorrow morning and turn in my BDCP package. My question is, my eyesight is too poor for SNA but I just graze for NFO. I plan on getting into the program as NFO. BUT, if after I get PRK surgery I choose to try to reassign to SNA, what are my chances of that actually happening (given I am qualified)? I am coming up on my sophomore year so time is on my side.

Given this was a while ago...I switched from NFO to Pilot while in the BDCP program. My eyesight was variable depending on the day and doctor. So I originally went NFO just to be safe - then changed my mind and sent documentation saying my eyesight was good enough for pilot and they swapped me.

Now it wasn't PRK - but it is possible to switch designators after already being accepted into BDCP.

TooTallTatum

Thanks for the responses. Took the test today. Did very well. But, what I didn't count on, my handler said NFO slots were closed even if though I wouldn't be commissioned til 2013? Is there a way they would accept pilot based on a contingency that I get successful eye surgery; otherwise be switched into a new career path (still navy)? My big thing is that I am trying to get in the door for BDCP to help out with tuition and do not want to sit out 6 months if I can help it.