• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A4s - Have you tried this?

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
A4sForever said:
Hong Kong
Singapore
Guam/Saipan
Japan
Naha/Okinawa
Most of the Filipino controllers
Thailand

The worst in the Orient are (in no particular order):

Taiwan
Vientianne Radio
The aforementioned ... "Saigon" Radio ... actually, anywhere in Vietnam
[/b][/b]

I'd have to say that Vietnam was pretty good the first time i passed by. but on a flight not so long ago the controller was both VERY difficult to understand AND she tried to vector us into Vietnam's ADIZ! We thought this was a REALLY bad idea and told her as much....she didn't talk to us for a while, i guess the nav wasn't too friendly in his call. Oh yes, and if we'd taken that vector we would have flown into a HUGE storm prior to entering the ADIZ and getting shot down.

Naha is great. What's better is, if you declare an emergency there (which i've had to do more than once) you get an American controller. So the key to this story is, drop the E-bomb and get the hookup. It isn't too hard to find a reason to drop the E-bomb in the mighty war pig...

My experience in Singapore wasn't so great. I asked the PPC, "uh, isn't english their, like, first language or something? Why was the Vietnam FIR controller better?" He was bound and determined to vector us into any airspace for which we didn't have a dip clearances for, to which we responded, "Negative Singapore control, we don't have dip clearance for that country either....can we just stay on our damn flight plan!?" Good times!

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
Nothing like Greenwood Radio coming up in a thick southern accent trying to raise someone on Guard while your IP is talking to you and Approach is talking to you.

Or some joker coming up on guard to announce crop spraying ops like 300 miles away . . . umm, thanks guys, that's why there are NOTAMs . . . (and the T&R setting for those who know what I'm talking about)

Cougar_62

Just another frustrated observer.
Talking about controllers reminds me of the Joke about a British Airways pilot flying into Germany, I think Hamburg. The controller got snotty and asked the guy "haven't you ever been here before?" and the pilot answered "Twice during the war, but I didn't land." I was looking for the whole joke but couldn't find it. Anybody have that one?

Britairgal

ahhh yes but it has to be done in a 'beautiful british accent' !!.....and I do believe that I am the only one qualified to do that !!

Roger over and out !

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Accents .... on my third (!) airline heading down to DFW and Ft Worth ATC airspace my Captain was a little guy from New Jersey --- and he looked and talked like it. The "good 'ole boys" from Ft Worth Center started giving us vectors and my Jersey Captain finally looked back at me (I wa the second officer) in utter confusion and exclaimed:

"I CAN'T UNDERSTAND A G-D WORD THEY'RE SAYING !!!"

I picked up the ball and said: "Never mind, Sir .... I'll translate". I took over the comm, said "Howdy ... how y'all doin' today" ... and the "emergency" was over.