• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A simple Introduction

Henry Smith

Hi! I'm new to this forum (sort of, I've been taking some advice on the ASTB from this forum for weeks) so I thought I'd give a short introduction to myself.

I'm a recent college graduate with a degree in physics from Kenyon College. I've begun looking into potential Naval Officer careers, specifically that of Aviator or NFO (though I'm also looking into information warfare and intelligence). The process has been a bit slow since graduation because I had to loose a lot of weight before I even came close to meeting the standards (I was a D-Lineman in college). I've met that and other fitness goals so I've started to go further along the application process. I recently took the ASTB (thanks for all the advice posted here!) and scored 71 7/8/8. So now that I feel like I'm really moving along I decided to join this forum for any advice you might be able to give (don't worry though, I've mastered the search engine).

Thanks for any future help and good luck to my fellow aspirants!

exNavyOffRec

Your ASTB is real good, if you want aviation you should have a decent shot, would know more if we knew your GPA that is associated with your degree, which is also good degree.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hi! I'm new to this forum (sort of, I've been taking some advice on the ASTB from this forum for weeks) so I thought I'd give a short introduction to myself.
Welcome aboard Henry, congrats on the 7 8 8 71 - you nailed that puppy. No mention of your GPA? Physics degree from Kenyon College is impressive, and should enhance your package with a decent GPA. We'll need all your numbers available to answer your questions, please add them to the info area in your profile:).

Besides building/assembling your package, keep working on your weight & fitness. As a former college 'D' Lineman, even after fixing the excessive weight problem, you're [probably] still a 'big motha'? Be advised that you will have to jump through a few anthro' hoops for SNA/SNFO. There could be certain aircraft types/models (mainly jets) that you may be DQ for, due to size, reach, leg length, 'sasquatch syndrome', etc. :confused:

Try to get LORs from people who actually KNOW you! Best are Coaches, Professors, Scout Leaders, Supervisors/Managers, Military Officers.:)

So start by adding to your profile, and soliciting LORs, document achievements, athletic & other. Note leadership positions held, and any community volunteer hours logged. You should put your best effort to pad your package to match your ASTB scores... you will make the board an offer they couldn't refuse!:eek:

Get hoppin' and good luck.:D
Thanks for any future help and good luck to my fellow aspirants!
Your welcome, my pleasure...
BzB

Henry Smith

GPA's 3.2. I'm not too worried about size (it was D3 football, I'm a little bigger than average but far from gigantic and at this point I'm much smaller than I was as a player). As for the OAR#, it was the computer based test so don't think it has a form #.

Thanks for the advice!

Last edited:

sundown88

Navy Connoisseur
Welcome Henry.

You have to put everything into perspective when you talk about your GPA. I think the board would be more impressed with a 3.2 GPA in Physics compared to a 4.0 GPA in let's say creative writing... the context in which you pursue the degree tells the bigger story. So 71 7/8/8 and 3.2 GPA in Physics, couple that with experience in college sports? I would say going strictly off of the numbers game, that would look like a solid package to me. Good luck bro!

V/r,

Sundown88

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Welcome Henry.

You have to put everything into perspective when you talk about your GPA. I think the board would be more impressed with a 3.2 GPA in Physics compared to a 4.0 GPA in let's say creative writing... the context in which you pursue the degree tells the bigger story. So 71 7/8/8 and 3.2 GPA in Physics, couple that with experience in college sports? I would say going strictly off of the numbers game, that would look like a solid package to me. Good luck bro!
V/r,
Sundown88
Concur in full, pump up with 3-5 good LORs, and the package is 'killer'. A 3.2 in Physics is a good fit with Henry's ASTB/OAR.;)
BzB