• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A question about the MEPS physical

WEGL12

VT-28
I have a question about the MEPS physical. What happens to the physical after you go to MEPS? I was told by the doctor and the chief medical officer that I was qualified for service. Is that the final answer or do several other doctors look at it and make a final decision?

The reason I am asking is because I had some trouble with the blood pressure readings. The first reading was 145/75 with a pulse of 88. The blood pressure was taken after I had to follow someone around trying to figure out what I was supposed to do. Basically they didn’t have my medical files right and had me listed as enlisted instead of officer applicant. I had to explain I didn’t need the ASVAB and just need a full physical. Then they didn’t have any of the forms right and were very close to sending me home (so they could straighten things out). But they finally found my documents and corrected all the mistakes which allowed me to complete the physical. I believe my blood pressure was initially high because I was worried they were going to mess my package up/send me home. They also let you have about 10 seconds to sit still before they take the blood pressure. After the first reading I started to get nervous about my blood pressure because I have never had high blood pressure (always around 120/70 and pulse of 70). The second and third readings were 155/90 with pulse of 110 and 150/88 with pulse of 102. After these readings I completed the other parts of the physical and passed everything else. When I had the interview with the doctor I explained the situation and he took my blood pressure. It was 130/65 with pulse of 75 (I think I was still nervous to a point). He said I am good to go and passed me. I went to the chief medical officer (I think this was her title) for the final approval and she said everything was normal and qualified me. I even asked about the three readings that were high. She said they didn’t matter because the final one was below the limits and was the one she was going to use. My question is if anyone else reviews my physical results and makes a final decision? All four readings are on the dd2808 form but the passing one is circled and signed by the doctor. I am just worried that when it is reviewed by a higher up I will get disqualified because I had three readings about the limits. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

m26

Contributor
MEPS does all the testing, and I believe they do screen applicants, but I think they send the data to the Navy doctors for a final decision.

Have you read THIS? You'll first want to find out if the "bad" numbers are all that bad.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I had about 5 pre and 5 post MEPS panics, but if you're healthy you probably won't have a problem.

JONNY

My initial blood pressure reading at MEPS was high as well. Both Navy doctors and MEPS employees know that applicants are nervous when going in for testing and blood pressure readings will inevitably be elevated. If they get a passing reading, you should be fine.

One thing to consider as well is that MEPS isn't the final word. I failed the (flawed) depth perception test at MEPS and subsequently went to a civilian optometrist and passed there 100%. I got a final select for SNA shortly after that. Hope that helps.

WEGL12

VT-28
My initial blood pressure reading at MEPS was high as well. Both Navy doctors and MEPS employees know that applicants are nervous when going in for testing and blood pressure readings will inevitably be elevated. If they get a passing reading, you should be fine.

One thing to consider as well is that MEPS isn't the final word. I failed the (flawed) depth perception test at MEPS and subsequently went to a civilian optometrist and passed there 100%. I got a final select for SNA shortly after that. Hope that helps.

Joponop- Did you have any problems since you tested high the first time? Hopefully they will look and see I had a pressure within the standards. How long after MEPS did it take to get an answer about you needing to get tests done at a private doctor? Thanks for the help.

M26- According to the standards it looks like I will have to do a 3-5 day check. My first three readings were over the limit. I was hoping that since the last measurement was within regulations, I would be good to go. I shouldn’t have a problem passing a three day check. Like I said, I have never had any problems with blood pressure. If this is require I hope I don’t have to do it a MEPS but rather my personal doctor. The thing that confuses me is the doctor flat out told me the first three readings don’t matter since I had a passing reading when he took it.

I found this under standards:
Blood Pressure: Systolic must be less than 140 mm Hg and Diastolic less than 90 mm Hg. If a single measurement is outside of this range, a 3-5 day blood pressure check must be completed. The average of the 3-5 day blood pressure check must fall within the above standards.

This is in the waiver guide:
AEROMEDICAL CONCERNS: Untreated hypertension is associated with long term changes in the cardiovascular system that in toto have the effect of significantly reducing life span. Untreated hypertension also predisposes individuals to cerebrovascular accident, myocardial infarction, ophthalmologic disease and renal failure. The magnitude of the blood pressure elevation is directly proportional to the risk of developing complications and is increased by other risk factors such as hyperlipidemia or cigarette smoking. White Coat Hypertension is not an acceptable diagnosis. If the blood pressure exceeds standards at the time of exam, three day blood pressure checks (at two different times each day) are indicated. Previously high readings which are then normal on three day follow-up DOES NOT relieve the examining flight surgeon from re-evaluation if the blood pressure is high during subsequent physical exams (or sick-call visits).
WAIVER: Any blood pressure exceeding 139 mmHg systolic or 89 mmHg diastolic is disqualifying and waiver will not be recommended. Applicants requiring medication for control of blood pressure will not be recommended for a waiver. The rational medical approach is to attempt non-pharmacological therapy first. If the systolic pressure is 150 mm or less and/or the diastolic 100 mm or less, member may continue to fly for a maximum of three months with Flight Surgeon’s approval if asymptomatic and no evidence of end organ damage (see required information below). This allows for a trial of weight reduction, diet modification, exercise, etc... Clearance Notice should clearly state the three month limitation and the reason (pending blood pressure reduction measures). At the end of three months, if member is within aviation standards (<140/90), they are PQ. If not within standards, member is NPQ, and grounded for any remaining work-up and the initiation of therapy. Blood pressure out of standards will not be waivered; the medications used to control it are as outlined below. Unrestricted waivers are possible if adequate control of blood pressure is achieved (BP<140/90), there is no evidence of end-organ damage, and there are no significant medication side effects

JONNY

Did you have any problems since you tested high the first time?

We all sat down at desks in a classroom and they took all of our blood pressures at the same time. Mine was high initially and said they had to take mine again. So I waited in the classroom to calm down for maybe 15 minutes and took it again and passed.

How long after MEPS did it take to get an answer about you needing to get tests done at a private doctor?

I actually read on AirWarriors that the depth perception test at MEPS is old and flawed, so I called my recruiter and he told me to schedule an appointment with a civilian optometrist. I got my optometrist to write my test results on his official letterhead and my recruiter just added it to my package.

Thanks for the help.

No prob! :)

m26

Contributor
I actually read on AirWarriors that the depth perception test at MEPS is old and flawed, so I called my recruiter and he told me to schedule an appointment with a civilian optometrist. I got my optometrist to write my test results on his official letterhead and my recruiter just added it to my package.

I failed mind (bull...), and was prepared to do the same, but didn't need to for NFO.

WEGL12

VT-28
m26 and joponop,

How long did it take to get the final word on if you were qualified for SNA? Thanks again.

m26

Contributor
I'm NFO. I think it just took a few days to get the medical finalized, but I don't recall.

JONNY

How long did it take to get the final word on if you were qualified for SNA?

The doctors told me at MEPS I was fine except for depth perception. Then the optometrist told me my depth perception was fine. I guess you don't really know until you get a pro-rec and a final select. I know it sucks, but patience is key in this game. Hope that helps.

mtsupilot09

"We lookin fo you. We gon find you!"
^^^This happens a lot. The DP machines at most MEPS stations are old and outdated. Actually, I applied SNA and was NPQ'd because of "deficient depth perception." Since my DP "sucked" I was selected for NFO. Once I got to OCS, the flight surgeon, says, "Wow, your DP has really improved!" At my annual short form, they told me I have "above average depth perception." Oh well.

WEGL12

VT-28
The doctors told me at MEPS I was fine except for depth perception. Then the optometrist told me my depth perception was fine. I guess you don't really know until you get a pro-rec and a final select. I know it sucks, but patience is key in this game. Hope that helps.

I was just wondering if you got a final notice before the final select. I was told at the end of MEPS I was completely qualified. I guess I don't have anything to worry about. I will know soon because I am doing PRT Thursday and then I just have to wait for the final select to come through. Thanks for the responses.

JONNY

I was just wondering if you got a final notice before the final select.

Not sure what you mean by a final notice, but if they tell you at MEPS you are fine, you are very likely fine. The pro-rec will come soon and the final select soon after that! Good luck!

WEGL12

VT-28
Not sure what you mean by a final notice, but if they tell you at MEPS you are fine, you are very likely fine. The pro-rec will come soon and the final select soon after that! Good luck!

My recruiter said the MEPS physical is reviewed one last time in Tennessee. After this I would get the final word on if I am qualified (medically) for SNA. But like you said since MEPS said I was qualified, I shouldn’t have any problems. I was pro-rec in the June boards so all I have to do is wait for a final select.