• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A few dumb questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

palmettoguy4519

i am currently applying for naval ocs: 4 years?

how long are you obligated to serve once you are commisioned?

they say after ocs you are a commisioned officer in the naval reserve? I thought you are in the full blown navy?

do you loss alot of weight in ocs? is the food enough and is it good?

how much sleep do you get at night? :sleep_125

thanks men

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
All officers commissioned these days are commissioned into the Naval Reserve, whether OCS, ROTC, or Academy. The Navy does it so they can RIF you on short notice without severance pay if need be. And they're doing a lot of that these days. If you make 0-3 you'll have a chance to augment to Regular Navy. Other than that, I'm a ROTC guy so I can't help. Best of luck with the application! :)

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Sailorman1982 said:
i am currently applying for naval ocs: 4 years?

how long are you obligated to serve once you are commisioned?

they say after ocs you are a commisioned officer in the naval reserve? I thought you are in the full blown navy?

do you loss alot of weight in ocs? is the food enough and is it good?

how much sleep do you get at night? :sleep_125

thanks men

You'll have to clarify the first question, I don't know what you're getting at.

Obligation wise, it's a total of eight years, 4 active, 4 reserve (another reason why you are active duty reserve, because if you decided to get out, you're in the active/inactive reserve). However, this is the bare minimum. Surface/Sub Nuke is a 5 year active commitment, while NFO is 6 after winging, and Aviator is 8 after winging.

Weight loss depends on how in shape/overweight you are. A lot of people dropped a lot of weight and got into better shape, I didn't lose much.

The food is actually pretty good, way better than the crap on the Vinson. There's enough, but keep in mind you have 3 sqaure meals, 20 minutes each, no snacking.

Sleep? What's that? Taps is at 2200, wake up at 0500, PT at 0515. That may seem like 7 hours of sleep, but you'll probably be a little later than 2200 squaring away your stuff, and up before 0500 so you shave and such. Good luck.

palmettoguy4519

say after four years you decide to get out, active/inactive reserve, what exactly is that? do you have to go somewhere every month?

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
After four years you go into the reserves, be it active (1 weekend a month, two weeks a year) or inactive (obligated to do nothing unless called up in war time, i.e. last step before draft so not likely) it is up to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.