• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A couple of questions

tygoerlitz

Hey guys I searched around and didn't really find what I am looking for. I have a couple of questions. First off I am currently an officer candidate for the USMC via the PLC program and I have been selected to go to Jrs. this summer. I have taken the ASTB and am currently waiting for my results. My main question is, is there anything that can be done before or during API and Primary to boost my chances of getting to jets. My question is not what are my chances of getting to jets, I know that is frowned upon here and that my chances are slim. What I am really curious about is if there is anything that can be done to boost the chances or if the way it works is basically you do the best you can and get what you get. If I have posted this in the wrong spot I apologize and if this is one of those questions I am going to get a lot of trash for so be it. Thanks for any advice and help that you guys have to offer.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
the way it works is basically you do the best you can and get what you get.

The better you do, the more your choice matters weighed against...drum roll...the needs of the service. Just do the best you can. You'll become aware how good that is relative to the others you are competing against. You'll be given all the tools and instruction you need to excel. Don't overthink it before you get there. Focus on the tasks immediately before you.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Heyjoe's advice is right on. Worry first about PLC Juniors, then concentrate on Seniors, then TBS, then API. It doesn't matter how you do at API as far as I could tell except that you need to pass, and you are building your reputation always so do well and help your buddies. Primary is pretty much the only thing you can influence to select what you want. Your chances aren't "slim" as you said, but they are just impossible to guess.

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None
It doesn't matter how you do at API as far as I could tell except that you need to pass,

Disclaimer: I haven't been in API in 10 years. Memory..fading..quickly....

Someone that is fresh out of the pipeline can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the above statement is 100% correct. IIRC, your API grades are lopped in with every other grade to make a total NSS. Correct?

Bottom line, tyogerlitz, do the best you can. Study your ass off, and drink to stupidity. Let the chips fall where they may. Good luck.

81montedriver

pilot
Someone that is fresh out of the pipeline can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the above statement is 100% correct. IIRC, your API grades are lopped in with every other grade to make a total NSS. Correct?

You are correct. You leave API with an NSS and it is part of your Primary NSS when you go to select. However, your API NSS has very little weight on determining your Primary NSS. ALL in all I have been told it is the equivalent of one flight and it is possible to leave API with a low NSS and finish primary with a high one.

To the OP just like everyone else has said, focus on the immediate threat ahead. You will have more than enough time to get ready for API and everything else when the time comes. Maybe even too much time.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator

You are correct. You leave API with an NSS and it is part of your Primary NSS when you go to select. However, your API NSS has very little weight on determining your Primary NSS. ALL in all I have been told it is the equivalent of one flight and it is possible to leave API with a low NSS and finish primary with a high one.

To the OP just like everyone else has said, focus on the immediate threat ahead. You will have more than enough time to get ready for API and everything else when the time comes. Maybe even too much time.

I believe you are correct. Nothing wrong with having a goal of jets but the only time a stud can do anything about it is while in the primary..by doing the best you can. Even then, you might be shit hot but if there are no jet slots, you won't go jets. Nature of the beast. Stop worrying about it now, worry about getting laid..things are that are more important for the time being.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Honestly, I saw a LOT of my classmattes in primary decide part way through that they no longer wanted jets. Nothing wrong with it, just realize that your priorities may shift, and it isn't worth stressing about now (when you can't do anything to make a difference anyway). The most you can do at this point is get through seniors, then get through TBS, then get through API, all so that you get the chance to compete for what you want in primary. That will be the first time where your grades actually matter towards your selection.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
OP: I'm really curious...what kind of things do you think you could possibly do to "boost your chances" for selecting Jets? I mean, "get the best grades you can" would seem pretty obvious. So what else are you imagining you might do? It's not like we have extra-credit projects.

Re: API NSS and whether it matters. No, your API NSS doesn't make a big impact on your overall NSS by the time you finish Primary. As long as you pass the "pass-fail" events (swim, PRT) and leave with the minimum NSS, you're fine.

However comma you're going to have a bad day or two in Primary. Everybody does. Even if you're the second coming of Jimmy Thatch, some days you're just not going to be able to get your head and your ass wired together. When you get a pink sheet, do you want to have a record of mediocre performance or good performance with a bad day or two? Cuz reputation does preceed you, even in the TRACOM.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I just remember asking at the end of primary whether API was figured in and they just laughed and said no. Obviously being a shitbag isn't really something you can turn on and off, so do your best all the time. The best advice I can give throughout OCS, TBS, and flight school (other than try hard and study) is just be a good guy. If you help your buddies and are generally a good guy things will go much better for you. A really big part of OCS, TBS, and flight school is getting help from and giving help to your buddies. A douche who is good at what he does will not be as successful as someone who is a good guy who is good at what he does.

tygoerlitz

Thank you guys so much for the good information and advise. I really appreciate your time and will definitely keep all these things in mind throughout my journey to becoming first a USMC officer then a pilot.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
If you help your buddies and are generally a good guy things will go much better for you. A really big part of OCS, TBS, and flight school is getting help from and giving help to your buddies. A douche who is good at what he does will not be as successful as someone who is a good guy who is good at what he does.

Great advice, I saw this plenty in primary, and even on occaison in Phase 1 jet advanced. Nothing will make your class hate you faster than being a blue falcon. Same will go for your IP's; they know exactly what your class knows, and plenty more. Not that you would be "that guy", just something to keep in mind if/when you do make it to that point.