• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

80% Lowers & Other DIY Firearms

OscarMyers

None
Until the 3D printer manufacturers embed AI into their devices to recognize firearm designs and restrict the device from printing such parts - I actually think this is likely.

The change in tone from ATF is interesting - first on braces now on 80%. I suspect that shipping the 80% lower with the slide, barrel/upper parts in a single "builders kit" was what crossed the line.

3D printers have so much open source support its ridiculous. It would be like putting restrictions on a lathe or a CnC machine. Now the weapon .stl files... that's where they can make their money.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
3D printers have so much open source support its ridiculous. It would be like putting restrictions on a lathe or a CnC machine. Now the weapon .stl files... that's where they can make their money.
^ This

"Information wants to be free."

When cryptographic information was still banned from export as a "munition," early amateur cryptographers published the encryption source code in a book in a machine-readable format, claiming that the book was protected free speech and not a controlled munition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernstein_v._United_States

Unless a federal court overturns that 1995 ruling, I don't see regulators being able to block people from doing the same thing with source code for .stl files, which are ultimately 1s and 0s anyway.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Until the 3D printer manufacturers embed AI into their devices to recognize firearm designs and restrict the device from printing such parts - I actually think this is likely.
Me when I hear nontechnical people come up with what they think are use cases for AI . . .

picard-meme-facepalm.jpg

CAMike

None
Contributor
It seems the 80% PercentArms Co that ships individual parts as well as parts kits was raided by ATF on Dec 10th 2020. Biden and Harris have already had discussion about this topic with ATF. These 2 tools want law abiding folks that build their own 80%'s and pistol braces turned into felons and the company that sells them destroyed, but the patterns/molds are already out of the bottle. All Hail our Cheaters in Chiefs, Lords Biden and Harris.
Link to story:

Hair Warrior

Contributor
80% lowers are a distraction from their real agenda. They want to confiscate all centerfire semiautomatic rifles and outlaw them.

I know multiple naval officers who advocate for this radical agenda, despite swearing an oath to support snd defend the Constitution - which has a 2nd Amdt, ya know.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply

The change in tone from ATF is interesting - first on braces now on 80%. I suspect that shipping the 80% lower with the slide, barrel/upper parts in a single "builders kit" was what crossed the line.
If I remember correctly, weren't they raided years ago or was it another polymer 80 manufacturer. The one I'm thinking about had the trigger pocket molded with white polymer and the rest of the lower was black making it very easy for a builder/finisher to mill out only the white section leaving the black intact. Once that is done you have yourself a completed lower. At the time the ATF said they were actually making a completed lower first, then filling in the trigger pocket with the white polymer, thus they were actually manufacturing a firearm. I remember the company saying they actually molded the trigger pocket first then molded the rest of the lower around the trigger pocket. Dunno if it was the same company, but it sure made finishing the lower a breeze ;)