• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

7 months to PLC, enough time???

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgoVIPER

I've been reading up on these forums and everyone seems pretty knowledgeable in one way or another so I figured I'd give a few questions
a shot.

I'm tentatively planning on attending PLC this summer (June 2005).
I've been a runner (track and cross-country) as far as sports go
since high school. I'm 6 feet tall and have long legs so I don't
foresee the 3-mile run being a problem, as long as I can keep
it under 21 minutes. Is 21 minutes a decent goal to be setting?
The OSO I've been talking to said it needed to be at least under 21:30
to be competitive.

Being tall helps with the run but it's a hinderence as far as the pullups go.
I've got longer arms and find it difficult to do pullups. I've read on the forums
about the pyramid ideas, etc.. for working on them but under a strict
excercise regiment, do you think it will be possible to elevate myself
to the level of doing 13-15 in the 7 months before PLC?
I know that question is weighted heavily on my own personal performance
but am I necessarily in trouble if I haven't been doing pullups or heavy
upper body workouts since high school?

Thanks in advance for the assistance!

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
It's possible. I'm 5'11" and have a wingspan of 6'2", so I know how bad it sucks to have longer arms (I can do 16). There's no shortcuts though, so get in the gym and start cranking them out. I'm in the Navy though, so I just do pullups for fun :)

WTFover

Arctic Alpha
I would train as though you are going. Being tall doesn't necessarily preclude you from doing badly on runs though. If you ran/ run CC and Track you should know what your body is capable of achieving. If you run at a collegiate level, then you won't have a problem attaining 20:00 or better. I didn't run CC or Track in college and I have no trouble attaining 19:50. As far as pullups go, being tall or having long arms has nothing to do with it if you work hard and stay consistent with it. Its annoying to hear people say they are worried about getting the required number of pullups to compete on there application because they are tall or have long arms. All it takes is a little dedication and hard work to meet your goals. I'm 5'11" and had no problem getting 18 pullups before I hit OCS, and when I completed I was a 21 or 22. So yes, in 7 months, you should be able to make 13-15. That is the base of where you, being a runner, should start at. I started at 13 when I first applied and I had only been doing pullups for a couple weeks. Another thing that will have with pullups is to keep your lower body weight down, that might sound ridiculous, but every pound you have to pull up adds up.

stevew

one thing with pullups though, don't overtrain. Two workouts a week on pullups to start with is adeqate, then in a little while move to 3 a week. I found what helped me most was doing 100 pullups in as few sets as possible. After you do it for the first time, take a week off, then try it again, you will see improvement fast.

tgoVIPER

Thanks stevew, and everyone else.

What type of workouts have you found work best?
I know it's said that I should just go out and do them,
but are there upper body excercises that will also help me out?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.