• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

6.8 spc v. HBAR upper

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I guy I know wants to get a 5.56 upper and get rid of his 6.8 SPC. I have a Match HBAR upper I am not using since I installed my DPMS upper.

What are some things to look for? Who owes who 'extra', if any?

thanks

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I'm not sure I can help but with a little more info Google might.

A lot depends on what kind of 6.8 SPC upper it is. Manufacturer? Chamber type (6.8 SPC or 6.8 SPC II) ? Barrel twist rate? Barrel length.

I assume your Match HBAR is a 20" upper from Colt? If not what are specs and manufacturer

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
A bit more specifics would help, as Rocketman said. A quick search of Brownells mobile site yielded 625 and 725 for CMMG DI and piston uppers, respectively.

I'd ask for a shitload of ammo if it were me...

Sapper!

Excuse the BS...
Doc, what do you plan on using the 6.8 for? As the others mentioned need more info, namely who built that match upper?! I'd say if you have the works, like pinned sights, set front sight, hooded arpeture, fast barrel (is it chrome lined or no?), and goodies to go with the match upper that would command a bit more than the average upper (I shoot national match so that is why I would not want to let mine go obviously). Being a gas piston 6.8 is different but in my opinion unless you have a specific purpose or are a 6.8 fan boy, I would say that your 5.56 match upper should be hard to let go of. Gaijin says it well though, if there is alot of ammo to go with the deal (magazines too?!), then by all means have some fun. NOW, if he said he had a grendel upper mehh, my personal opinion I'd be beating him with a club to hurry up and trade it over, especially if there is even a few rounds to go with it.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I don't think feddoc was talking piston 6.8 SPC? Like Sapper says it's all about what you want to do with the upper. I'm a short to medium range shooter (0-400) and the 5.56 and 6.8 SPC II work great for me. The 6.8 is a great medium range deer/hog gun. If I was going to do a lot of AR shooting out past 400 I think the 6.5 Grendel would be a my choice.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Yea, I'd do it in a hurry for a Grendel upper. I dunno what I would do with it...mebbe bang around at some coyotes. The guy has 5 mags and some magpul stuff to go with it, but not much.

Years ago {1991 or so; I was in Corpus at the time} I paid $550 each for three...I sold one :) .... NIB Match HBARs. One remains in my safe, the other is the one I took the original upper off of and replaced it with a 24" DPMS upper.

Doc, what do you plan on using the 6.8 for? As the others mentioned need more info, namely who built that match upper?! I'd say if you have the works, like pinned sights, set front sight, hooded arpeture, fast barrel (is it chrome lined or no?), and goodies to go with the match upper that would command a bit more than the average upper (I shoot national match so that is why I would not want to let mine go obviously). Being a gas piston 6.8 is different but in my opinion unless you have a specific purpose or are a 6.8 fan boy, I would say that your 5.56 match upper should be hard to let go of. Gaijin says it well though, if there is alot of ammo to go with the deal (magazines too?!), then by all means have some fun. NOW, if he said he had a grendel upper mehh, my personal opinion I'd be beating him with a club to hurry up and trade it over, especially if there is even a few rounds to go with it.