• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

5 soldiers who kicked ass in the face of death (and logic)

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Holy crap, Army policy to only award one Medal of Honor, probably not too many times that policy has had to be in effect . . .

Makes ya wonder, what would the device be for a second MOH? A set of platinum balls?

brownshoe

Contributor
Holy smokes! This from one of the links in the article, a bit more detailed:

“On June 6, just one day after the exploit that earned him the Medal of Honor, First Sergeant Wilson killed 33 more Chinese soldiers with his rifle, bayonet, and hand grenades in another one-man assault. In the process, he reopened the wounds he suffered the day before and was finally evacuated to a hospital. He was again recommended for the Medal of Honor, but Army policy prohibited any man from being awarded more than one. Wilson received the Distinguished Service Cross instead and was commissioned when he returned to the States. He retired from the Army as a major in 1960 and died in Hawaii in 1988.”

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Holy crap, Army policy to only award one Medal of Honor, probably not too many times that policy has had to be in effect . . .

Makes ya wonder, what would the device be for a second MOH? A set of platinum balls?

It isn't Army policy, it is actually spelled out in the law governing military decorations and awards that was passed 9 July 1918. Reading the actual law though it prohibits not only the awarding of the Medal of Honor more than once but also the Distinguished Service Cross and Distinguished Service Medal as well, awarding them a 'bar' or other device instead (the Brits and Commonwealth issue 'bars' in lieu of a second award instead of the stars of oak leaf clusters we issue). The Medal of Honor Society also says it cannot be awarded twice in their history of the medal (9 July 1918), I am pretty certain they got it right.

Treetop Flyer

pilot

I bet it would look like this:
DanielDaly.jpg

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
FWIW, CDR Evans was a USNA graduate & full-blooded Cherokee indian from Oklahoma.

blackbart22

pilot
Check out Steve Pless' citation. We were preflight classmates (Class 38-58) and although what he did was unreal, I wasn't all that surprised that he was the only Marine aviator to get the MOH in 'Nam.

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
Check out Steve Pless' citation. We were preflight classmates (Class 38-58) and although what he did was unreal, I wasn't all that surprised that he was the only Marine aviator to get the MOH in 'Nam.

From citation:
...When the wounded men were aboard, Maj. Pless maneuvered the helicopter out to sea. Before it became safely airborne, the overloaded aircraft settled 4 times into the water. Displaying superb airmanship, he finally got the helicopter aloft....

Like a boss