• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

38 and looking to DCO - what if I don't make it?

Nodak Navy

I am turning 38 this summer, but still wanting to join up. I spoke with a recruiter, and based on my education and work experience she recommended to DCO PAO. What has me concerned is the very few slots open for PAO throughout AD and Reserves. If I do not make DCO on the first shot, will I basically be out of time for ever getting in at officer?

I'll admit right now I don't know all the details of how things work for getting in other than enlisting. If I apply for DCO, does that start me out and get me "on the books" if you will with the Reserves? Or, if I fail to make DCO, do I get kicked and have to turn to enlisting instead?

Background:
BS Physical Education K-12 (Music and Coaching minors) - 2.85/4.0
MS Industrial Technology (emphasis: Graphics Communications) - 3.25/4.0
17 years experience as editor, copywriter, marketing manager, graphic designer
Organizer for local youth football league for 5 years
Martial arts instructor for 5 years
Varsity football official for 20 years, lead referee for past 6 years
Varsity wresting official - 3 years
Social media manager for sports officiating association

Nodak Navy

42 is the cutoff for getting 20 years for retirement prior to 62. You could still be selected after 42, but you must sign a form stating that you know you will not be able to retire.

That's the main concern is that "you could still be selected." With as few slots as there are for PAO, I would be concerned with competing against trained PR people; whereas, my experience is marketing and proposals. Should I perhaps enlist first and then put in for PAO, or would that negatively impact my chances of getting to officer?

exNavyOffRec

That's the main concern is that "you could still be selected." With as few slots as there are for PAO, I would be concerned with competing against trained PR people; whereas, my experience is marketing and proposals. Should I perhaps enlist first and then put in for PAO, or would that negatively impact my chances of getting to officer?

except for the VP's son I have not seen people picked for PAO that didn't have extensive PR experience, I would be surprised if you would get picked up, you background and education don't have a direct correlation to anything in the officer designators

Nodak Navy

Alright, that being said about getting into PAO, what would be your recommendation about Enlist vs DCO given my age? If I put in for DCO (PAO, Supply, etc.) and don't get selected, does that effectively kill my chances of making it into the Navy Reserves as an officer? Or should I enlist and just attempt to work up the ranks?

I know this is a lot of questions, but I like to at least have an idea of options before jumping into things. I would hate to make a move at DCO only to find out I have no chance of doing anything because I strike out. I would rather enlist and help out than not make it in.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Alright, that being said about getting into PAO, what would be your recommendation about Enlist vs DCO given my age? If I put in for DCO (PAO, Supply, etc.) and don't get selected, does that effectively kill my chances of making it into the Navy Reserves as an officer? Or should I enlist and just attempt to work up the ranks?

I know this is a lot of questions, but I like to at least have an idea of options before jumping into things. I would hate to make a move at DCO only to find out I have no chance of doing anything because I strike out. I would rather enlist and help out than not make it in.

What did your recruiter say when you met up with him/her and discussed these questions to them?

Nodak Navy

She mentioned the fact I must commission by my 42nd birthday and I can get waivers for 41/42 years old. She never did address whether I would be training or doing anything with the Reserves prior to being commissioned. I will give another call this afternoon to pin down this question.

Northshore

She mentioned the fact I must commission by my 42nd birthday and I can get waivers for 41/42 years old. She never did address whether I would be training or doing anything with the Reserves prior to being commissioned. I will give another call this afternoon to pin down this question.

There is no formal training prior to selection. You will spend your time piecing your kit together per the recruiter before final submission to the board. The only prep you can do in the event you do get selected (others may chime in here):

-PT yourself to meet requirements before DCOIC
-Memorize stuff like the 11 General Orders, Anchors Away, etc....
-Be in constant communication with your recruiter
-Don't slack on paper work because some of it can take time