• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

3-Year Scholarship Letter

plurrz

I am about to formally submit a 3-Year Scholarship Application to my NROTC Unit (due May 31, 2016) at Virginia Tech. I was told the board convenes from July 25-29 to select recipients and that a letter will come in the mail telling me the result. It's important that I know the result before the next semester starts, as I have to enroll in additional classes depending on my success with the scholarship. Does anyone know how long it usually takes to figure out if you've been awarded the scholarship?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am about to formally submit a 3-Year Scholarship Application to my NROTC Unit (due May 31, 2016) at Virginia Tech. I was told the board convenes from July 25-29 to select recipients and that a letter will come in the mail telling me the result. It's important that I know the result before the next semester starts, as I have to enroll in additional classes depending on my success with the scholarship. Does anyone know how long it usually takes to figure out if you've been awarded the scholarship?
You should know before classes start. Usually the scholarship awards go out over the summer. Have you talked with your advisor about it? They usually have pretty good insight to when the results are published. Good luck.

plurrz

Yeah, he hasn't been contacting me recently. Probably busy with all the other MIDN going for scholarships, which I understand. Also, I'm unaffiliated. Do you know anything about how unaffiliated students are judged compared to students in NROTC?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, he hasn't been contacting me recently. Probably busy with all the other MIDN going for scholarships, which I understand. Also, I'm unaffiliated. Do you know anything about how unaffiliated students are judged compared to students in NROTC?
That changes things a bit. Contact the NETC NROTC helpdesk and ask the question:
Scholarship Office email: pnsc_nrotc_cgo@navy.mil / 1.800.NAV.ROTC Option 3, Ext. 8,9

HUDcripple

pilot
Do you know anything about how unaffiliated students are judged compared to students in NROTC?

The process is designed to get as close to an "apples to apples" comparison as possible. Objective criteria - Cumulative GPA, Calc & Physics scores (if you've taken them), and fitness test scores - are easy to compare.

The big difference is opportunity to create a subjective impression. Affiliated students have all year, which means the staff sees all the positives, but also the negatives. As an unaffiliated student, your interview and personal statement are your only two opportunities to make an impression. If you are prepared, you can make a great one; if you are unprepared, it is impossible for the staff to "fill in the blanks", since they don't know you.

Also, affiliated students are evaluated on both NROTC involvement, and campus involvement. Unaffiliated students can only be evaluated on campus involvement. This is fairly easy to normalize - it all adds to a total time & level of extracurricular activity - but again, the unit / scholarship board only knows the information you provide.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Talk to the unit and enroll in the classes anyway... Worse case they'll strengthen your application for next year.