• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB 2nd Attempt on the OAR

Greetings everyone,

I am currently applying for Navy OCS and am hoping to contract as a SWO. I believe I have a solid application and references completed along with my academic achievements. Anyway, I have never been a strong standardized test taker, but I believe I can get the score I need to obtain for this exam. For the past two months I studied hours and hours, day after day, and even hired a tutor to help me pass this test. Alas, it did not work whenever it came down to test day and I received a 39 on the OAR. I utilized the Barron's study book, Trivium OAR Study Guide 2021-2022 book, and a Test Prep OAR Study Guide book. Unfortunately, these books did not really serve to help me that much because it seemed as if the actual OAR was very different than the material that I had studied.
I saw a lot of probability on the Math section that involved a deck of cards, some fraction problems (no problem in doing these), and some difficult algebra problems. The Reading Section was a lot harder than the sections I had studied in the aforementioned books and were all questions about naval polices/regulations. The Mechanical Section seemed to be a hodge podge of random questions ranging from very difficult to those that were common sense; this section contained very little about gears, pulleys, and levers which I was shocked to see.
Moving forward, I plan to take the exam again in a month but I am having a hard time developing a plan of action on the countless amounts of material found on airwarriors.com. This is the only source my recruiter could give me to study from and I also found a thread on Reddit that is titled "How to score 70 or Better on the ASTB-E/OAR" but the material I am seeing on these sources is not really matching up with what I saw on the OAR a couple of weeks ago.
Bottomline: What did you do to study for the OAR and get a high score? What direction did you take your studying and most importantly what resources did you utilize?
Thank you all for your time.

nipunsharp

Greetings everyone,

I am currently applying for Navy OCS and am hoping to contract as a SWO. I believe I have a solid application and references completed along with my academic achievements. Anyway, I have never been a strong standardized test taker, but I believe I can get the score I need to obtain for this exam. For the past two months I studied hours and hours, day after day, and even hired a tutor to help me pass this test. Alas, it did not work whenever it came down to test day and I received a 39 on the OAR. I utilized the Barron's study book, Trivium OAR Study Guide 2021-2022 book, and a Test Prep OAR Study Guide book. Unfortunately, these books did not really serve to help me that much because it seemed as if the actual OAR was very different than the material that I had studied.
I saw a lot of probability on the Math section that involved a deck of cards, some fraction problems (no problem in doing these), and some difficult algebra problems. The Reading Section was a lot harder than the sections I had studied in the aforementioned books and were all questions about naval polices/regulations. The Mechanical Section seemed to be a hodge podge of random questions ranging from very difficult to those that were common sense; this section contained very little about gears, pulleys, and levers which I was shocked to see.
Moving forward, I plan to take the exam again in a month but I am having a hard time developing a plan of action on the countless amounts of material found on airwarriors.com. This is the only source my recruiter could give me to study from and I also found a thread on Reddit that is titled "How to score 70 or Better on the ASTB-E/OAR" but the material I am seeing on these sources is not really matching up with what I saw on the OAR a couple of weeks ago.
Bottomline: What did you do to study for the OAR and get a high score? What direction did you take your studying and most importantly what resources did you utilize?
Thank you all for your time.
wait wait, your reading section had naval policies/ regulations? I don't remember that being on mine.. I remember it being similar to SAT english portion..but I took mine in 2018, so my memory might not be accurate.

Reactions: ND3
wait wait, your reading section had naval policies/ regulations? I don't remember that being on mine.. I remember it being similar to SAT english portion..but I took mine in 2018, so my memory might not be accurate.

Yeah. Nothing close to a story passage or anything like that. It was if they took it straight out of a law book. Anyway, I am just trying to think of other ways I can study for this test outside of just diving into the internet lol but looks like that's going to be my main method. I plan on taking the test again in a month and have been studying pretty hard since my first attempt, so I'll either get the score or I won't. I wish there was a more structured plan on taking this test. I remember studying for the ASVAB a long time ago and was able to triple my score to an 86, after utilizing an ASVAB for Dummies book.

Myath92

Yeah. Nothing close to a story passage or anything like that. It was if they took it straight out of a law book. Anyway, I am just trying to think of other ways I can study for this test outside of just diving into the internet lol but looks like that's going to be my main method. I plan on taking the test again in a month and have been studying pretty hard since my first attempt, so I'll either get the score or I won't. I wish there was a more structured plan on taking this test. I remember studying for the ASVAB a long time ago and was able to triple my score to an 86, after utilizing an ASVAB for Dummies book.

I took OAR two weeks ago and got 41, I also had navy regulations and policies on reading comprehension part (almost all of it actually), I am planning to take it again next month, i studied math and mechnical comprehension parts but when i actually took the exam, reading comprehension part of OAR came as big surprise

George213

I took OAR two weeks ago and got 41, I also had navy regulations and policies on reading comprehension part (almost all of it actually), I am planning to take it again next month, i studied math and mechnical comprehension parts but when i actually took the exam, reading comprehension part of OAR came as big surprise
Will you be studying from this site for the math and mechanical comp. or from YouTube?

Update: Well, I took the OAR for the second time and was able to get a 44, thanks to using the materials on this forum. Not perfect by any means, but it got the job done for my SWO package according to my recruiter. I'll just have to see how it goes down when I send my package off in October. Good luck to the rest of the homies taking this test. It's not easy and definitely a challenge if you're not a good standardized test taker like myself.

Myath92

Will you be studying from this site for the math and mechanical comp. or from YouTube?

The attached are all the study guides I have found on this site. Thank you all for that.

So basically, I downloaded and printed them to practice over and over again. Sometimes when I have free time I’ll watch YouTube videos but I mainly focus more on study guides and practice exams.

Attachments

• OAR_Study_Guide 5.pdf
    164.4 KB · Views: 237
  • OAR Math Guide.docx
    1.5 MB · Views: 279
  • ASTB_gouge.pdf
    474.9 KB · Views: 134
  • Test 4 Questions.pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 156
  • Test 4 Solutions.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 123
  • Independent_Dependent Events.pdf
    28 KB · Views: 104
  • Math Practice Test.pdf
    4.9 MB · Views: 152
  • Test 2.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 124
  • Practice Test 2.pdf
    5.8 MB · Views: 150
  • DRT Problems.pdf
    28 KB · Views: 124

dustinrobetrts

The attached are all the study guides I have found on this site. Thank you all for that.

So basically, I downloaded and printed them to practice over and over again. Sometimes when I have free time I’ll watch YouTube videos but I mainly focus more on study guides and practice exams.

Hello,
I am struggling to pass the OAR. Missed the mark twice. This is my last try and it means the world to me to pass. Thank you for putting together this study material. I believe it well help. I can move forward with a 40. Do you have more study material? Appreciate it.
DR