• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

20% V.A. Disability and Flight Physical

3 in the green

3intheGreen
Question for a Doc, or any fellow members who have been through something similar:
I am a SNA Pro Rec, waiting to screen Medical at MEPS in order to receive a final select letter. I was prior service, did a tour in Iraq, and upon return was awarded 20% disability from the VA. 10% for Tinnitus, (The Social Worker asked me if after any of the IED Explosions did my ears ever ring, even for short while, of coarse they did it was an explosion) however I have not had any recurring problems at all. Ears haven't had any ringing since those IED's in 2008. I currently hold an FAA 1st class medical certificate, no restrictions, and American Eagle Airlines gave me a hearing test in OCT when I was hired so I know my hearing is fine. The other 10% was for a varicoele that was removed via out patient same day surgery. My ears are fine, my varicocele is gone, however the VA is still sending me the cash. What will it take to get past a flight physical? Will either of these items be a show stopper? I am happy to call the VA and get the disability to stop ASAP if that makes or breaks passing a flight physical. I appreciate the help!​

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Question for a Doc, or any fellow members who have been through something similar:​
I am a SNA Pro Rec, waiting to screen Medical at MEPS in order to receive a final select letter. I was prior service, did a tour in Iraq, and upon return was awarded 20% disability from the VA. 10% for Tinnitus, (The Social Worker asked me if after any of the IED Explosions did my ears ever ring, even for short while, of coarse they did it was an explosion) however I have not had any recurring problems at all. Ears haven't had any ringing since those IED's in 2008. I currently hold an FAA 1st class medical certificate, no restrictions, and American Eagle Airlines gave me a hearing test in OCT when I was hired so I know my hearing is fine. The other 10% was for a varicoele that was removed via out patient same day surgery. My ears are fine, my varicocele is gone, however the VA is still sending me the cash. What will it take to get past a flight physical? Will either of these items be a show stopper? I am happy to call the VA and get the disability to stop ASAP if that makes or breaks passing a flight physical. I appreciate the help!​

So you probably should tell the VA your hearing is fine and lose that 10% of your VA benefit. Not just to make or break your passing a flight physical, but to keep yourself out of trouble for possible VA claim fraud.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
They probably gave the 10% for Tinnitus because it is one of those things were once the damage is one, it will never go away even though it may be asymptomatic for years. Mine will bother me for a few months and than go away for a few years. But it always eventually comes back. Plus unless it is actually active urging your hearing test, it won't effect your results.

The military will let people with VA disabilities back in. My friend had 50% when he retired but they gave him a voluntary recall for 2 years. When he re-retired, they gave him the 50% back and then evaluated him to see if the new active duty time aggravated the disabilities and if the rating should be increased.

phrogpilot73

The military will let people with VA disabilities back in. My friend had 50% when he retired but they gave him a voluntary recall for 2 years. When he re-retired, they gave him the 50% back and then evaluated him to see if the new active duty time aggravated the disabilities and if the rating should be increased.
Truth. There's a CH-53E pilot in 772 that is 30% disabled.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Doc,
If a "friend of mine" is starting to notice ringing in their ears, at what point is it worth reporting? Is there anything that can be done?

Said friend has had to repeat the hearing test on the following day the last 4 flight physicals.

This friend would like to get paid for the ringing down the road, but doesn't want to lose their flight status.

Let's say, for argument sake, the ringing is mostly in one ear and fairly constant. Let's also say this friend's spouse consistently bitches at them for turning up the TV to hear.

Thanks,
Pickle

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Your friend's situation may be different from mine, but I noticed mild, but constant tinnitus a few years ago and talked about it with my flight doc. Now, my hearing has thankfully tracked along fairly close to my original baseline from 25 years ago and the tinnitus doesn't necessarily imply hearing loss. From how it was explained to me, the amount of hearing loss you would have to experience to actually down you from flight status is fairly significant. In fact, one of the aircrew on the NALO flight I was on yesterday was wearing hearing aids. My understanding is also that there's not a whole lot that can be done. There are some meds available, but the docs usually won't recommend them unless the tinnitus is severe, debilitating or keeping you from sleeping.

That's what I know. Hope it helps.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Your friend's situation may be different from mine, but I noticed mild, but constant tinnitus a few years ago and talked about it with my flight doc. Now, my hearing has thankfully tracked along fairly close to my original baseline from 25 years ago and the tinnitus doesn't necessarily imply hearing loss. From how it was explained to me, the amount of hearing loss you would have to experience to actually down you from flight status is fairly significant. In fact, one of the aircrew on the NALO flight I was on yesterday was wearing hearing aids. My understanding is also that there's not a whole lot that can be done. There are some meds available, but the docs usually won't recommend them unless the tinnitus is severe, debilitating or keeping you from sleeping.

That's what I know. Hope it helps.
Thanks,
I'll pass that along...
Pickle

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
After 4 years in the T-34, I had tinnitus pretty bad. I blame being in between helmet sizes and having to wear the larger helmet. I even had all the gucci ear cups and used ear plugs, but I don't think it was a match for the PT-6. When I stopped flying them, it got significantly better, but I still have it regularly.

Throughout all of this, my I never actually fell below my baseline (which is pretty high). I'm only just now getting close on one frequency, which may have more to do with other things than flying. I started reporting my tinnitus a couple of years ago, just to get it on the record and no one really bats an eye.