• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

20 mile hump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rainman

pilot
Originally posted by Joshuabonk
Is this something that their is a graduial build up to? What is the content of the pack?

a) depends on your CO
b) depends on your CO

My class had a much different pack than some other companies'

we did a 5 mile, 10, 12, 15, 20 if not mistaken. The 20 definitely sucked. Hobbled for a few days after. Maybe a 60 lb pack with rifle? I found singing classic Bruce Springsteen tunes helped the eight hours pass.

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
I think it was mainly the half-pint sized Marines that were running. 65” and down. Everybody else walked.

We did less than 20, but added more weight to compensate. 10 feet of snow canceled one humps, so they finally squeezed it in somewhere.
Yeah, it just depends on the CO…If you have an infantry guy - stand buy. Life is so much better in the wing.
I imagine that you’re worried about hitting the ground running when you get there. I don’t recall to many people having trouble with the humps (hikes…oops, wouldn’t want to offend someone), most people had problems with the E-course/O-course before the “hike”. As with everything, you have plenty of chances to remediate. TBS doesn’t come at you in the fast pace like OCS; you’ll have time to breathe…just spend the time out there running the E-course before the timed event comes up.
Thanks for reminding me Rainman…I forgot all about the tender feet. All you can do is kick back with some booze and prop the feet up till the pain goes away.
Hey, E5B made it through, he’s like 30 or 35 years old by now… if he can do it…

Beaver

TBS has begun a new hump policy courtesy of the new CO. There are typically more humps involved but the longest you do is 15 miles. The pace is usually about 3 mi/h and the packing list does depend on the company CO. I believe this new policy is for all classes but that could always change of course. The breakdown if I remember correctly was 6, 8, 10, 12, 15, or something very similar. The feet and shoulders are the worst part. If you're in good shape which you will be by the time you get to the long ones, then legs are really an issue.

HueyHornet75

pilot
ah yes,
the tbs humps. Airwinger, did we do the 15 and 20 milers in august? who cares, it was hot. most of the time, you're gonna do it with the big MOLLE (POS) pack, loaded to the gills. charlie did it from midnight to about 7ish...give or take an hour. when you do it in the warm months, you'll be surprised that the temp doesn't drop too much in quantico during the wee hours, and that flak jacket was probably the worst part of the whole thing. when lieutenants began dropping like flies, our CO made the call to take the flaks off and stuff them in the packs, too. of course we were maybe halfway done?
GySgt Patton, hooked up the fruit, gatorade and water...he is the man.
if you have a billet, you'll find the humps aren't too bad, because you're more of a sheepdog than a sheep...it takes your mind off the pain. People also had all kinds of candy and trash to snack on along the way.
Duct tape the soles of your feet...that helped me out. i only had one blister throughout ocs and tbs...it was when i decided to wear a different set of boots to the rifle range...wrong...my jungles were were awesome!
however, nothing is worse than that 5 mile sprint/hike during ocs...i didn't even think the ecourse was that bad.
semper fi

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Originally posted by BigWorm
Hey, E5B made it through, he’s like 30 or 35 years old by now… if he can do it…

Yeah, I had to get TWO age waivers just to get into the flight program!!

BTW, the new TBS CO, was my Bn XO with 1/1 as a major. .........small Corps, thats one of the reasons why I love it so much!

HueyHornet75

pilot
Hey E5B, who's the new TBS CO...i know i could probably look it up, but i'm feeling lazy. did the old CO retire or move on?
semper

For the duct taping feet thing...will that work for just plain running as well to prevent blisters? And how many layers should you put on?

HueyHornet75

pilot
i know some people duct taped everything. i put two strips along the balls of my feet because that's where my feet hurt. two strips so that the strip was not too narrow. if it is too narrow, the tape will start to roll up and you'll be worse off than if you didn't put anything there. i never taped my heels, but you gotta figure out what works for you...get a pair of jungles and go hike a trail for about half an hour...you'll find out quickly where you're a tenderfoot.
taping feet for running...never tried that. not even on boots and utes runs. lots of people went out and bought BATES or BATES Lites. they're boots that feel like sneakers. i don't remember if you could use them at OCS, but at TBS they were fair game. with the new desert boots, i don't know if that's still true. some of the guys at TBS right now will be better able to answer that one.
semper

Beaver

HueyHornet is right about the Bates Lights. I don't have a pair but I plan on getting some. A lot of people here use them for PT because they are so light. As for the humping thing, if you tape your feet then you won't build up any calluses. You might prevent some pain, but isn't the pain part of the reason for being here? You don't want to be left out of the conversation when all of your buddies are comparing who has the worst blisters. :)

gotcha. I already have a disgustingly thick pair of callouses on my big toes that constantly build up and I have to cut them down to normal size every two weeks or so or they'd start ripping off...pretty disgusting.

Status
Not open for further replies.