• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Career Reflections by Pickle

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
BTW in the mid1990s, I did a U.N. mission with an Army/former KGB officer. You’d have never known from the way he acted. We only knew because the other 2 Russians told us. Once we knew, he admitted it and told us a lot of stories. One of the most interesting foreign military guys I ever met.

Once we found out we reported it to the U.S. military command we were assigned to during the mission. They verified it and sent someone out to brief all the U.S. military in the mission on what, how, who, etc. when it came to interacting with him. They said “once KGB, always KGB” no matter what was claimed.

I also figured out one of the other Russians (Navy) was a former submariner and had been a crew member on a boomer I had tracked in the late 1980s.

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
Thanks. Wise enough, indeed. Maybe you had fridge too? Nothing of this "Money For Nothing" stuff was designed for those fucking Bears, even the WC. Cold sandwiches and dual-purpose bottles/flasks - first to drink then to urinate (carefully watch to avoid mixing them up, pal). Take shit if you don't mind to freeze your ass in the nose landing gear compartment right on the doors. Of course, tail gunner had to sew his butts together, there wasn't any place to relieve oneself. Northern comfort, fffuck

Max the Mad Russian

I also figured out one of the other Russians (Navy) was a former submariner and had been a crew member on a boomer I had tracked in the late 1980s.

Man, on those missions (Yugoslavia, right?) all the Russian officers were approved by FSB and openly informed their "mole". If that guy had been from the Russian Navy for real, then he was either KGB/FSB man from the scratch (Navy JO, just "dolphined", who got new KGB/FSB commission and after special two-years training transferred to a security missions aboard that boomer - so-called "OSO-beast", a formal KGB officer looking after the sub crew ) or obtaining FSB commission after leaving the Navy. I'm pretty sure they played with you and that guy "from KGB" quite can be mock figure. No matter which rank you do have in KGB/FSB, it is always socially higher than equal rank in military. People wants to get rid of any military commission in favor of KGB/FSB's. Surely doesn't exist the sole case when KGB/FSB officer resigns his commission there substituting it with military one. This is social suicide.

Last edited:

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
MINURSO. West Sahara desert. 1995.

The Russians were all there because they would be out of the military otherwise. Big reductions and they needed the job. Plus with the U.N. money we all got paid as a subsistence allowance, they made about 5x the pay the would back home.

KGB was a Lt Col and Navy guy a LCDR. The other Russian was also Army, a Captain. I’m pretty sure they were who they said they were. After reporting them to our command, their claims were vetted ed/verified by the U.S. through our sources. They guy that came out had pretty good backgrounds on them. He also gave us the rundown on the Chinese officers. Between the two, we had 11 current or former intel types in the mission posing as normal officers.

It was an interesting 6 months in the desert.

Last edited:

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
What a coincidence...the Uber driver taking me from my daughter’s house to JFK is a newly arrived Russian immigrant/ former Army officer. Almost no English. We’re talking through Google Translate on our iPhones.

He drives like shit too. Pretty scary ride.

Max the Mad Russian

He drives like shit too. Pretty scary ride.
Army? He obtained his driver license and first cornerstone skills riding APC BTR-80 during sophomore year in some military college here, why are you surprised? Next time ask me for advice:) You have to say "I'm an Army three-star General in civilian clothes thus attention and obedience behind the wheel! And everything you want to say should begin and end by word Sir. Go ahead!"

Last edited:

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Once we found out we reported it to the U.S. military command we were assigned to during the mission. They verified it and sent someone out to brief all the U.S. military in the mission on what, how, who, etc. when it came to interacting with him.

Wait, you could get someone, ANYONE, to come out and give a disclosure brief? Now I know this story is made up.