• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Career Reflections by Pickle

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
Gents,

I quite can be off clue and might fairly be answered "don't be so stupid and search on this site, dude", but I noticed several times that some of you (generally) call the VP-community officers "SWOs of Naval Aviation". Why so? Due to the fact you VP guys have enlisted personnell in the crews while aloft? Or there is something resembling the relationships between the officers of surface navy? Strange enough since back in 1990s I have heard something like "I wouldn't stay with Navy at all if I should have been separated from my VP squadron", then all-Orion world.

Mos

None
Gents,

I quite can be off clue and might fairly be answered "don't be so stupid and search on this site, dude", but I noticed several times that some of you (generally) call the VP-community officers "SWOs of Naval Aviation". Why so? Due to the fact you VP guys have enlisted personnell in the crews while aloft? Or there is something resembling the relationships between the officers of surface navy? Strange enough since back in 1990s I have heard something like "I wouldn't stay with Navy at all if I should have been separated from my VP squadron", then all-Orion world.
It has to do with the perception that SWOs are pedantic and assholes toward each other, and that VP aviators share those qualities more so than do other types of flyers. VP has its problems and bad officers but so does everyone else.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Max has enjoyed a nice AW hiatus. Russia is an adversary. I would avoid further interaction.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You are a mod. If he’s a real threat then punt him, otherwise I don’t see the issue with answering cultural questions that are already covered ad nauseam on this site.
Yes, obviously. I’m simply encouraging the group to honestly evaluate the risk/reward calculus of maintaining a dialogue with him. Caveat emptor.

Max the Mad Russian

First, thanks Mos for your answer. I never understood why the Tailhook singleseaters are about "social experience". Opposite, MPRA is about social things as the piloting is not the main job AFAIK, the main job is to organize the crew's activity. What could be more "social"? And now I think that VP officers are prone to be such due to the competition that lasts constantly: while they are aloft, too - moreover, within one airframe.

Second, I'm not Russian citizen, I have both Belarussian and Ukranian passports and I was born in Ukraine, so nowadays you Brett should look hard for the worst enemy of Russian politics on Ukraine than me.

Third and the last - I carefully avoid the sensitive things, namely due to the status of Russia. This is not my fault that NATO and Russia are adversaries again, I'm just interested in the matters what is common and what differs in military and naval realms of different countries. One can notice that the best history books about some military systems or eras were written by foreign authors, foreign in relation to the subjects. For some unexplainable reason, native people within the country usually have no noticeable interest, beyond the narrow and specialized communities. That is why I'm here, and aside, am very grateful to AW visitors - you too, Brett - for answers and comments. So thanks again.

Max the Mad Russian

Gents,

Was there microwave oven onboard of P-3Cs in 1990? If so - was it custom/standard equipment or each crew should've paid for it from the wallets? On Soviet-made Bear-Ds there wasn't it by standard design and when the crews began to buy it and makeshift ad hoc installing it, the ovens started to interfere with the electronic equipment. So guys used to wrap the entire oven in the foil sheets with little holes to cool it by tubes down from the vents. Were there similar problems on Orions? Hope this is not the classified info, don't get me wrong