• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Career Reflections by Pickle

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I will say when I went through transition and they still had the SLAM-ER functionality in TOMS before replacing it with Harpoon, messing around with it it seemed like it was going to be way less asspain than in the P-3.

Angry

NFO in Jax
None
I will say when I went through transition and they still had the SLAM-ER functionality in TOMS before replacing it with Harpoon, messing around with it it seemed like it was going to be way less asspain than in the P-3.

You mean you didnt have to get up, walk to the back of the aircraft where a 10+ year old tough book was running 20+ year old windows 3.1 software to configure the weapon? Fuck me, we might have been on to something!

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's all fun and games until MPRA puts a SLAM-ER into a baby food factory.
BabyMilkPlant.jpg

tarjas

Alooo-haaa
None
It's all fun and games until MPRA puts a SLAM-ER into a baby food factory.

If you are talking about the VP-10/VP-9 shots those were SLAMs, sans ER. We had moderate success in VP-10. VP-9 amd Combat Bob, not as much. Always chcuckled when I heard the sea story is about the VP-9 crew that locked onto the sun. Missle tried its best but didn’t make it...

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
If you are talking about the VP-10/VP-9 shots those were SLAMs, sans ER. We had moderate success in VP-10. VP-9 amd Combat Bob, not as much. Always chcuckled when I heard the sea story is about the VP-9 crew that locked onto the sun. Missle tried its best but didn’t make it...

I never heard the real story behind it, just that SLAMs were called twofers since they would go right through the front door of the target, keep on trucking out the back door and blow up in a baby Food factory/wedding/terrorist senior citizen center down the street a ways.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Those things are terrible for a lot of reasons.

Dont disagree, however it is also entertaining that both SFWSL and NAWDC decreed that the SLAM-ER was dead multiple times throughout our workup cycle, and we did not do a single training event with it (in contrast to what we always did in the fleet, or when I was at NSAWC/NAWDC in that specific seat). Last week, I found out we are being directed to on-load CATMs and AWW-13 pods for cruise due to "deployment requirements". I guess it will be me if the SLAM balloon goes up, lord knows I know more than most about it. But ridiculous that the two hands aren't talking to each other.

AULANI

Ha, when was this? I was with VP-9, 2002-2005.

Angry

NFO in Jax
None
Dont disagree, however it is also entertaining that both SFWSL and NAWDC decreed that the SLAM-ER was dead multiple times throughout our workup cycle, and we did not do a single training event with it (in contrast to what we always did in the fleet, or when I was at NSAWC/NAWDC in that specific seat). Last week, I found out we are being directed to on-load CATMs and AWW-13 pods for cruise due to "deployment requirements". I guess it will be me if the SLAM balloon goes up, lord knows I know more than most about it. But ridiculous that the two hands aren't talking to each other.

Are you deploying anywhere with nice weather and a high per diem rate? If so I might be available to assist...