• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Career Reflections by Pickle

Pags

N/A
pilot
Are you PCSing or deploying to Japan? When I PCSd to Japan my family had to get a "no cost passport" which was funded by my orders and looked like a normal blue passport but had a stamp in the back to differentiate it from our normal civilian passport. As the military member I don't think I had a "no cost passport" and I executed official travel on orders and ID. My family and I all had normal civilian passports that we had to use to execute personal travel on. So, when I PCSd to Japan on official travel I used passport+ID and my dependents used the "no fee passport." When we went on leave to Thailand, Hong Kong, etc we travelled on our civilian passports. Confusing as all hell but such was life. At no point was I given nor did I need a red passport. I used to have a red passport back in my fleet squadron but never used it as all official travel to foreign countries was done via ID and orders. If you are PCSing to Japan the Js at Narita are well acquainted with US PCSs. There was even a sign up that directed all incoming US MIL to a special line at customs. They wanted orders and ID.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I deployed ALL over PACOM last year with orders and ID. No passport red, blue, or otherwise. I couldn't go to the Maldives for a couple days. Other than that, zero issues.
Would you say the Maldives is worth the asspain? (Googles “where is The Maldives?”)

They told me to come back with a DD-1056 signed in Blue Ink (not red, green, or black) from my squadron and they would process my renewal.

I reached back out to my sponsor to see if they want to go that route or if, indeed, the ID/Orders thing is good enough.

I’m hoping it is, I always get a little ragey when I talk to Admin weenies.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
On an equally pressing matter, anyone ever take their golf clubs on the rotator from KSEA to Kadena?

I read the AMC pub attached as saying I can, but don’t want to find out I can’t at the last minute...

First World Problems...FA8C66DC-6BA1-4086-8797-B0AD7545E1C7.png

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
So, if any of you were flying in the Jax vicinity yesterday morning (6/20/18) and heard some fucking redneck hot miked on VHF Guard and Jax ground/clearance...I would be that redneck...

Preflighting the P-8 for a PPC event, and start having issues with comms. In the P-8 there are two halves to the comm suite: the “green” side that has the normal 737 commercial setup, and the military side with all the other radios.

I couldn’t select any radios on the military side, and, unbeknownst to me, was continuously transmitting in the green side across VHF and Guard.

Turns out some relay in some box was stuck (or whatever the Trons fixed) and we started getting angry calls from the tower and the FAA.

Apparently I “may” have transmitted “this motherfucker is fucking broken and I can’t figure out how the fuck to fix it” very loudly on Guard.

To my credit I never used a call sign and said nothing on the net to get me fired (I know, I’m just as surprised as you)...

Whoops...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Don't worry, no one on the .mil side can hear anything you guys say anyway since you only transmit on VHF*.

*Disclaimer: I'm not sure why we (the Navy) doesn't move to VHF in the domestic NAS to begin with, but that's another issue.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't worry, no one on the .mil side can hear anything you guys say anyway since you only transmit on VHF*.

*Disclaimer: I'm not sure why we (the Navy) doesn't move to VHF in the domestic NAS to begin with, but that's another issue.
It’s because VHF is too clobbered with inane chatter about how the fucking ride is at FL380.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I still prefer UHF. And presets. I don’t know why it took so long to get onboard with using them.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I use UHF with center to cut down on the chatter and then use VHF with approach and the airport to have better SA about who is around me.
That's not a bad way to do it.

I don't mind the chatter on Center but that's just personal preference (maybe I get bored easily).

I definitely like the SA of other traffic by using VHF for Approach and Tower.

KTBQ

Naval Radiator
pilot
Seventh Fleet Warriors, I need your input.
I’m about 2.5 months from departing KNIP for destinations west...my brown, government issue, passport is expired. I went into admin at VP-30 to inquire about renewing it, as I expect to be flying about the 7th Fleet AOR soon. They told me they don’t do passports anymore, it’s just orders and ID’s. If I wanted a passport I was going to need some documentation from the squadron proving need.

My bullshit meter is pegged on high here. I reached out to my sponsor, but they just got there, so not expecting to hear back immediately.

Any recent returnees from the land of the rising sun have any input?

Thanks,
Pickle
Your squadron will almost certainly need you to have a passport. Last deployment, we had a couple of junior sailors that didn't have them and it was a pain in the ass. Not an option for a DH.