• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1st increment graduation

jjhardware

My son is currently at 1st increment. I have a question, I understand there is a ceremony at the end of 1st for parents to attend and we want to attend. Is there also something like this at the end of second increment? He says he wants to be pinned at his college graduation ceremony after second increment. Can someone explain some of the options guys have after the end of second increment? We watched The Making Of A Marine Corp Officer and there was a ceremony at the end. Is this because it was the all inclusive course and not the split one?

ernie

Crowbar

None
I'm a little confused by the wording here. Just to make sure, he's at OCS right now. Does he have any college left or will he be a 'direct commissionee'? Does he have one more semester and graduate in the fall? What program is he in? PLC, NROTC?

Even with PLC and NROTC, a few folks get commissioned right there at the end of OCS, but they have already finished college and had to come back to OCS for medical reasons.

Yes, there is an OCS graduation, one for first increment and one for second increment. I didn't think of OCS graduation as the 'culminating point' for me, it was definitely commissioning which came five months after OCS. But if you want to go, it's definitely a good show to see.

Wanabe Jarhead

I think his confusion lies in the distinction between 1st inc., 2ns inc., Jr's, and Sr's. He will get pinned when he gets his cat skins from college.

Crowbar

None
^That makes sense. I've never heard of Jrs/Srs referred to as 'first' or 'second' increment. That's always been used to specify the time period over the summer you are at OCS.

What he said. You can go to and graduate OCS but you won't get commissioned until college graduate. If your son has time in between finishing seniors and finishing college he can probably expect to get commissioned at college (or that area).

jjhardware

Thanks for the replys. I am his father and not as well educated as I should be about the ins and outs of OCS. My son is in the PLC program and is between his freshman and sophmore year in college. I can see what I said wrong, you are correct about 1st, 2nd increment being the timing of the classes this summer. I guess he would be considered in Juniors. However you did answer my question if there was a ceremony after the Seniors session. He has worked so hard to do this I just wanted to know and want to support him as much as possible. We are planning to go to the ceremony if everything works out.

ernie

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Graduation is a good show. The junior companies(Kilo and India) will graduate with the senior companies (Golf and Echo). If you go you this summer you'll see the exact same show if you go when he graduates from seniors in two years. Because of the distance and the fact that I wasn't really done, I had my family come down for the seniors graduation.

USMC Helo Bubba

Contributor
jjhardware said:
However you did answer my question if there was a ceremony after the Seniors session. He has worked so hard to do this I just wanted to know and want to support him as much as possible. We are planning to go to the ceremony if everything works out.

ernie

Ernie -

It is a standard military parade at the end of each juniors and seniors. It would have meant alot to me if my parents could have made either graduation - but definitely Seniors if I had to choose one or the other - because you are closer to being a Marine!

You will still have the chance to support him and be proud when he is commissioned if you do not make it.

I think it is great you are supporting him so early in this. My father had no idea what OCS was all about - although he has been very supportive my entire career.