• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

19 River Visual

jmcquate

Contributor
Picked up my wife at DCA about a month ago and watched some approaches from a little park at the 10 threshhold. Is that approach as fun to fly as it looks?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Picked up my wife at DCA about a month ago and watched some approaches from a little park at the 10 threshhold. Is that approach as fun to fly as it looks?
In a B727, it's 50/50: depends whether you're flyin' or watchin' ... if you're watchin' & droppin' flaps & gear & workin' the radios -- I suppose you could call it 'fun'. GREAT views on a clear, sunny day ...

It's still not as 'challenging' as the (now defunct) Kai Tak IGS RW13 @ HKG in a B747 on the side of a typhoon ... usually flown at night and/or in WX -- the view frequently sucks as a result ... :)

dcarivervisualrwy19.png
vhhhigs13.jpg

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
In a word, NO!

[But then I never flew into Kai Tak, other than as a rider.]

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
It's been a while, but was copilot going in there twice to pick up congressional delegations ('03, I think). We flew visual approaches from the North and South, IIRC, and both were cool, but as the guy handling radios once and the approach in the other time I was too busy. We had to do some secret-squirrel radio stuff to get in, and we didn't want to F' it up...which is really what it is all about.

Oh, and it was guys talking a mile a minute once on deck...you think you're getting progressive taxi, you are high.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would cheat to the right side of the river to avoid P56.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I would cheat to the right side of the river to avoid P56.

What's your speed ???
:)

You try that in a 'big' jet and you'll be in 'big trouble' @ George Mason/Rochambeau ... :eek:

Not to mention the noise complaints ...

jmcquate

Contributor

What's your speed ???
:)

You try that in a 'big' jet and you'll be in 'big trouble' @ George Mason/Rochambeau ... :eek:

Not to mention the noise complaints ...

George Mason/Rochambeau? Is that a bridge? I thought the bridges went VFW, Chain, Key, Roosevelt, Memorial, 14th Street.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
George Mason/Rochambeau? Is that a bridge? I thought the bridges went VFW, Chain, Key, Roosevelt, Memorial, 14th Street.

Actually the River Visual includes, in order:

American Legion Bridge
Chain Bridge
Key Bridge
Roosevelt
Arlington (Memorial)
George Mason (14 Street South Bound Traffic)
Rochambeau (14 street North Bound traffic)

Think there is a rail bridge in between, and also a Williams bridge in that maze of multiple spans.

I was going to jump in and say the northern approach to DCA was to Runway 18, southern 36, but research shows that about 10 years ago, RW 19/1 were redesignated from RW 18/36.

Lots of history on that approach. The reason for the River Approach is that the late Ted Kennedy estate (Hickory Hill) is set back from the river and he wanted no part of the noise, so the approach was moved over the river to protect Hickory Hill. I understand that shortly after, or perhaps immediately after, the river apporach was banned. That did not last very long, as I remember.

Spent a lot of time at Gravelly Point (afore mentioned park), listening to radio chatter and watching the landings with number one son. Probably main reason for him contracting the air bug. Lots of stories in those visits to the park. I also worked for CNA in one of the two riverside building in Arlington. On clear days we could visual ID flight deck crews inbound on RW-18 approach, on foggy days we could only hear engine roar.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Lots of history on that approach. The reason for the River Approach is that the late Ted Kennedy estate (Hickory Hill) is set back from the river and he wanted no part of the noise, so the approach was moved over the river to protect Hickory Hill. I understand that shortly after, or perhaps immediately after, the river apporach was banned. That did not last very long, as I remember..

If some rich, powerful c--ksucker has a problem with airplane noise, he can eat sh-t and...oh, never mind.