• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1520s Who they are and what they do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodie143

For those of you who are going to be 1520s (AMDOs -Aviation Maintenance Duty Officer) or just want to now a little more about the 1520 community, I was one for three year with a Navy Fighter Squadron. I would be happy to answer any and all question anyone might have. please feel free to email me at smyargosz@msn.com.

I did decide to lat/transfer/Redesignate to SNA but I still love the community and can give you as much gouge as you want on how to succeed.

Thanks and remember, life is too short so if you don't have fun, what is the point in doing it.

V/R
LTJG Steve Yargosz

Brodie143

Probably should tell you a little as to what they do in a squadron.

They usually handle the supply (Material Control Officer-MCO) and administrative matters (Assistant Maintenance Officer-AMO) pertaining to a squadron. The also can perform as a Det Maintenance Officer (DetMO), as the Maintenance Material Contrtol Officer (MMCO) (the guy who does the day to day running of the maintenance department on the officer side of the house for the MO). The MMCO works closely with the maintenance Master Chief on all issues pertaining to maintenance.

I was a MCO so I dealt with supply issues like getting parts as well as tracking all of the money we spent on flight gear, office supplies, fuel, and parts. I was in charge of the Tool Control Program and I was also the Hazmat Officer. So as a 1520 you cover quite a few bases. They are inter-related so it is not too difficult to manage each program.

It would take up to much space to put everything 1520s do in here so please if you have questions feel free to email me at smyargosz@msn.com

V/R
LTJG Steve Yargosz

bigmikenjax

Steve, Hey thanks for posting a 1520 forum, hopefully we all can get some good info here. I am submitting a package in the next two weeks for AMDO, can't wait. I do have one qustion about recieving orders, do you get them out of OCS or out of AMO school and usually where does one go? I am on sea duty now , is it possible to get shore duty out of school? Thanks, Mike

SkyHigh

What are the specific qualifications for AMDO's in terms of getting in? need an engineering degree? Do you work on the Aircraft? What is the schooling process after OCS? ie.. pilots go to APi and PRimary, and Nuq go to Nuq school.. where do AMDO's go?

Brodie143

Most first tour 1520s go to a deployable unit, either squadron or ships AIMD. So to get a shore tour for a first tour is rare. The detailer has needs and will take into account where you are before you go through AMDO school. You will get your follow on orders in OCS. I got mine three days before graduation. 1520s go to AMDO school at NAS Whiting Field in Milton FL. Up the road from Pcola.

I had an aero engineering degree so that helped since I was not prior enlisted. They would like a more technical back ground than say English lit majors, but if you are willing and there is a slot then go for it. You do not work on aircraft as an officer. I did go out an try to learn as much as I could about the aircraft and how maintenance is done, but I never did any maintenance. For one I was not trained for that and two that would take a job away from the junior enlisted personnel who need to learn how to fix aircraft. A 1520 is a administrative type officer. You do paperwork and maintain records.

Brodie143

1520 ways to succeed lesson #1: DRMO

There are many things that can affect the moral of a command. Time off, awards and recognition to name a few. As a 1520 what can you do to improve moral? One of the biggest things is if you are the Material Control Officer is to make sure the enlisted personnel are taken care of. How you may ask? Take a look at what a new recruit coming from boot has in the way of winter clothing. How much of that clothing looks like it would keep them warm in the middle of December in Virginia or Maine or where ever it is 30 degrees or less at night? None of it except the watch cap. Most of their clothing is not designed for winter aviation use. So what can you do? Buy them winter clothing right? Well sorry to say but you don't have the funds for that and it is illegal. Illegal to make sure your personnel have the right clothing for the job? That is the rule since that money is required to be spent on other items. There are ways around this problem, so what do you do?

Go to http://www.drms.dla.mil/ this is the DRMO website. It is like the goodwill store for the military. Here you will find used winter clothing. Some in very good condition as well as thermal underwear, gloves, pants and so on. A good rule is to get your winter clothing in the summer say May or June and your summer clothing in the winter say November or December. An always make sure what every you need you get it at least six months out. Persistence here pays off. One day there might be nothing you are looking for and the next there is 3000 pair of what you want. Ordering in bulk is good to since some of the items are in poor condition and you have to look through them to find a good item.

How much does this magical goodwill store cost you, you ask? Nothing, it’s free*!!!!

*You must be 50 miles away for them to ship it to you and the cost of shipping must be less than the cost of the items being shipped. Neither is ever really a problem

IFT2O

Drinkin' Beer w/ your mom
Two questions for you, how many billets are normally available at any given time? What platform would you recommend me lobby for? I am a prior P-3 IFT w/ no boat time and I do know there is a war going on but, I am trying to keep that time to a minimum!

Thanks,
Chris

Brodie143

The number of billets depends on the command. But for carrier squadrons one or two. For boat AIMDs three or four. Major AIMDs three or four, and minor AIMDs one or two. Amphibs have one or two I think.

As to going to sea, that is a way of life and there are more jobs at sea (this includes squadrons) then on shore. If you want to succeed, you have to go to sea. Your ultimate goal is the MO for a Carrier. Once you go there you are set.

Go to this web page for career progression:
http://www.avtechtra.navy.mil/pdf/AMDO-P.pdf
Look at appendix B. That will give you an idea.

I need to give you a better answer but it is late and I need to get to bed, so I will try to find something better than that for a good career progression.

bigmikenjax

I submitted my package in last week for AMDO, I heard they had a board last Friday, but my package did not get there yet. The next board is in June... Wish me luck..Mike

Valion310

Hey Brodie, thanks for the good gouge. I'm submitting my package in 2 weeks for pilot, NFO and AMDO. I'm prior AE3 from STRKFITWNGLANT and have TONS of maintenace background so thats why I put AMDO as my third. My scores were good enough for AMDO no prob and in hopes of doing a little research on the job, I have some questions.

How hard was it to redesig to SNA? And how much pull did you squadron have in it?

Presuming my head is wired to my stern correctly, and I pull good evals and general record of service from a 2 yr AMDO stint then either cross-deck or go for a lat redesignation, what kind of weight does that pull? What is the minimum time before you can redesig?

And just in general, what were some of your personal thoughts on being an AMDO and how much motivation to redesig did your pilots play?

I'm fortunate to have the VFA time under my belt, and I'm an Aerospace Science major and a pilot, so I have that working for me too. And my commission is more important then doing one specific job, but it would be nice to get those wings pinned.

Anyway, any other general thoughts would be great. Good luck with your redesig. Everyone else, if you go AMDO - you'll LOVE the squadron life style, there is nothing like it in the world!!

Valion310 out-

bigmikenjax

I was selected for AMDO this week!! Looks like I will be going around Feb time frame. I have to make this deployment first to Sig. If you have any questions, write me. More than happy to help anyone out. Thanks, Mike

hawkdocfmf

Nice to see a board for the 1520's. I am a 1520 on the east coast, anyone have any questions let me know and I will answer them the best I can. I am fairly new at this but also a prior enlisted. Best of luck

potluck73

I have ten years enlisted as Avionics tech, Got out as AT1 two years ago to finish my degree. now I'm too old for a flight status and would like to still be involved in a squadron community. I am applying for AMDO as first choice. I have what it takes to apply, My question is what do I expect as an AMDO for ten years to retire? how are first orders determined out of OCS, Do I pick from a set or just needs of the Navy? Package goes in next week.

potluck73

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Potluck73,

You pick your orders from a set that coincide with the needs of the navy. Luck plays a lot in this, because when I selected, it was either AIMD on the Stennis, or VS-33. I picked 33, my buddy picked Stennis. I was in class 07-03, however, the guys in 04-03 could have had a shot at our orders, but picked something else. AMO school only classes up 4 times a year, so it's basically a crap shoot. If you're looking to retire after 10 years, you may want to stick around just a little bit longer. Why? Because you pick up 0-4 after 9 years, which includes a sea-shore-sea rotation, one of which should be AIMD.

Status
Not open for further replies.