• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

14k Solid Gold Wings?

candidate2010

I was at my buddy’s jewelry shop down here by Pax River today and made an interesting find. I was looking through his stacks of wax molds and found a mold for Naval Aviator Wings (pic below). This jewelry shop has been in his family since his grandfather started it with a friend back in 1965. We are assuming they have the mold because they probably used to make these wings for the test pilots on base. Either way, I thought it was pretty cool. He started talking about possibly producing them again and I offered to see if there would actually be any interest. I’ve talk to a couple friends that have already been winged and they thought it would be great as a type of heirloom piece they could eventually pass down. So, I figured I’d jump on here and see what you guys thought.

IMG_0483.jpg

Here are some technical details:

14k solid gold
Weight: Approx. 35 grams
Price: Approx. $1500

I know $1500 sounds like a lot but if you’re wearing them with your dress uniform and plan to hand them down, I think it’s a nice investment. Also, consider that an ounce of gold is currently selling at $1700 and there’s over an ounce of gold in the wings- he’s not trying to make a huge profit. Post comments, let me know what you think!

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I got a set from Wings in Pensacola for about $500 last year. Has gold really gotten THAT much more expensive?

candidate2010

I got a set from Wings in Pensacola for about $500 last year. Has gold really gotten THAT much more expensive?
Sir,

I haven't gone through TBS yet so I hadn't heard of Wings but I just checked their website and found this:

The Gold Market is very volatile at this time...over $1,620.00 per ounce today
Our full-size 14K Solid Gold Wings are $599.00 for now

Good to know! I wonder how big of a stash they have! Must have purchased these a long time ago...

candidate2010

Thanks, fellas for letting me know about this place. The info is helpful. I'm going to call them and ask if they are hollow. That is way too good of a price to be solid gold!

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I always heard that the gold wings were fragile; problems with pins breaking off and getting stuck in the frogs and whatnot. I've got enough heirlooms...mine have the added benefit of being able to shoot things. Neat find, though.

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
In 1995, the wife & I, along with friends from around the country, attended the disestablishment of VA-35 at Oceana. The loving wife purchased a few raffle tickets which were selling up in the VA-35 Ready Room...winner awarded a set of Solid Gold Aviator Wings...OR A SPANKIN' FRESH, BRAND NEW, RIGHT OUT OF THE SUPPLY CHAIN, IN THE ORIGINAL BOX, INTERMEDIATE TYPE G-I LEATHER FLIGHT JACKET!!

Since the USN, in its infinite wisdom, demanded all of its gear back, right down to my sunglasses, when I separated in 1968, you can bet I selected the flight jacket...:D
Flight Jacket Front.JPGFlight Jacket Rear.JPG

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I always heard that the gold wings were fragile; problems with pins breaking off and getting stuck in the frogs and whatnot. I've got enough heirlooms...mine have the added benefit of being able to shoot things. Neat find, though.

That's why I had a pair of wings dipped in gold when I was in Thailand. It is a bit more solid than pure gold but it still has a nice thick layer of 24k gold on top.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

When I winged, I got (as a gift) a set of gold wings from the Museum. I don't remember how pure they are, but they've held up fine. I wore them all the time when I stood duty as a JO (when I had to wear the khakis). Although in the last ~7 years I could probably count the times I've worn a uniform with metal wings on two hands, but they're still strong and tarnishing nicely (albeit slowly).

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
I had a set of 22k set of wings made during a port call in Bahrain.
They don't shine up as pretty as the 14k wings, but they are unique!

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Do you think USAF pilots go as bananas over wings coated in genuine sterling silver?

phrogpilot73

I've got gold wings (winging gift from my parents) - recommendation from the jewler they bought it from (family has been in business for 70+ years in Annapolis) was 10K so it would hold up better.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor

Yes, they are. I heard a rumor about a family member "pinning" on a set of gold wings at the ceremony before that was no longer allowed, and actually snapped the set of gold wings in two due to the fragility.

Oh, and OP... there's no such thing as 14K solid gold. Solid gold is 24K.

I like my 14K. A little bit dull of a finish, but you can tell they are gold and not just shined up brass.