• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN 1310 got a NAMI NAA, now forced out via POCR

Cotton

pilot
I'm at the end of my rope. After some FRS syllabus troubles I got my NATOPS qual but then got sent to NAMI and received a NAA (non-aeronautically adapted). I was told as a probationary officer I met the qualifications to go to the POCR (probationary officer continuation and redesignation) board. They told me I was being sent because "I attrited from an initial course of instruction due to a physical disqualification." I quietly argued that I didn't believe my situation fit that description but they assured me it did. Reading the POCR business rules it states you're eligible for many reasons. From the business rules, my command states number (1) applies : Attrition for any reason from an initial course of instruction or duty necessary to obtain a designator, professional warfare qualification, or professional certification required to conduct an officer's duties, regardless of whether they have a remaining active duty service obligation or not." I'm a 1310 PQM. I don't see how this fits well enough to send me to the board.

Milpersman 1610-020 states:
  • Aviation officers whose medical incapacity has been determined to be permanent are disqualified for aviation service on the date specified by Navy Personnel Command.
    • Pilots or NFOs in the category will be redesignated to 130x and may apply for lateral transfer to a new community.
Short story is there were no slots open to redesigate me via the POCR since it's at the end of the FY. I asked why we couldn't wait till the new FY so more slots opened and was told to shut up and color. I was selected to separate into the IRR.

If anyone has any information they could direct me towards that might assist me I would be eternally grateful.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Had a buddy go through something very similar. PERS 43 stated that he wasn't warfare qualified in his community (which for VP takes place at ACTC level III- Aircraft Commander) so that's why he qualified.

If aviation is an option for you on the outside, go get your FAA class 1 medical and start working toward the airlines. There's been more than one individual here who isn't flying in the military anymore who are doing the same.

If you can't/don't want to fly start looking at the head hunters.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Zippy has it right - "warfare qualified" means you're an aircraft commander/level 3.

In related news, timing rules everything around me

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Cotton, as others have stated, until you get your Level 3 qual and are warfare qualified, you fall within the initial instruction and will be included in the POCR. Timing is everything and based upon what is available may have little chance of remaining in the service. Hopefully somewhere along the process there was someone in your chain of command giving you mentorship and counseling you that you were at risk of not making it through the program and prepare fro alternate eventualities for your career. Getting your Wings of Gold and then the continuing training to become warfare qualified and earn higher quals is a difficult path, and unfortunately there are those that can't qualify (some due to attitude, others due to aptitude). There are off ramps at each stage after your get your Wings, at the FRS, in the Fleet, etc. But by and large, the farther you get, and as long as you aren't "that guy", commands will work harder to help advocate on your behalf. If you have a solid reputation but just didn't make it through, then you need to be talking with your chain of command and getting any guidance and assistance from them. Best of luck to you.

squorch2

pilot
Other things to consider for people that may google this thread in the future: you're a probationary officer, and subject to POCR, until you hit the 6 year point.

Cotton

pilot
Great advice guys. It makes sense looking at it in that regard. At first glance, it seems once you get your "warfare device" you wouldn't fall into that (1) category but as you pointed out, I wasn't truly "warfare qualified."

Timing is the most important factor. I have JAG fighting this solely on the grounds that some procedures were not followed correctly. Easiest to explain I pointed out above with Milpersman 1610-020 and the fact my designator was never changed. That is a crucial step to the rest of the process. Based on a few mistakes, they say I may be able to get the board results overturned, and in return, go to another board where I can roll the dice again. This is optimistic lawyer talking. In reality, I'm talking to the Army right now. They say that they may be able to take me. I wouldn't say no. I left out the fact that I am a prior with 14.6 years and need 3.5 more to reach sanctuary. Another option is just getting out and coming back in through a recruiter when the "timing" is right. Sep pay would enable me and my family to live comfortably while I wait and get whatever job on the outside that comes along.

I did take your advice Zippy and I received my FAA Commercial Rotorcraft and Instrument Rating today.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Good deal getting your helo ratings. Did you get your fixed wing ratings as well? Definitely a good idea talking to the Army / National Guard. You will need to go that direction to build hours for a civilian helicopter job and/or try and go fixed wing. If you did not get your fixed wing ratings, you may be able to use the GI Bill. Being dual rated opens more doors.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
You may be able to MILCOMP the Commerical ASEL. I know at least one helo dude who was able to do that and just tack on a multi-engine rating later in life. Ask around to some of the guys you have to pay to get the add on ratings instead of the FSDO and they may be willing to help you.

squorch2

pilot
Sep pay would enable me and my family to live comfortably while I wait and get whatever job on the outside that comes along.
You may not qualify for separation pay. (the regs are a bit dense.) Would ask your JAG if you haven't already.

Cotton

pilot
I've read through DODI 1332.29 and OPNAV 1900.4. What part of my situation do you believe would prevent me from receiving separation pay?

Cotton

pilot
Ok, just making sure you didn't see something they didn't. I only trust lawyers as far as I can throw them. They have said I am entitled.