• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

13 OCTOBER OCS DATE

Status
Not open for further replies.

WFUNFO

Hi, I am student NFO finishing up Intermediate here in P-cola, and I came through OCS. I was commissioned last September, so if anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask about OCS, API, or Flight School, since my friends at Whiting and Corpus have told me a great deal about all that they do, too. Good luck to you all.

Vic

Your MOM!
pilot
WFUNFO,
Was NFO your first choice? If not, do you feel like you made the right decision by going NFO? My packet went up this week, and the rumor around the camp fire is that pilot slots are hard to come by. Do you know what platform you will be in?

Don't sweat the small stuff!

meb6385

I have submitted with both Pilot and NFO as choices and I'm suspecting that with Pilot's being so picky right now, that I may "hopefully" get NFO. So I'm wondering if it's still just as exciting as SNA. I'm sure either way, I'll love it, but I guess I'm wondering if I'll always rather be a pilot, or if NFO is just a awesome. What's your take on it?

WFU2USN

I'm not WFUNFO, but I do know that she's way into being an NFO since I got her into this navy business! As I recall the choice was intel or nfo. AM - do I know you or what?

Personally, I just got picked up for NFO - found out Wed. and I had submitted my packet about 4-6 weeks ago.

WFUNFO

To be honest, no, NFO was not my initial choice. However, once the navy found out that I am as blind as a bat, the pilot option was no longer avaiable to me. I was not worried or disappointed when this happened. The training I have gotten has shown me how valuable both seats in the plane are, but I can honestly say I like my job better. NFOs are in charge of much more than the pilot and I like having to coordinate the execution of a number of tasks, including blowing things up of course, all at the same time. As for pilot slots, nothing but rumors are circulated around the squadrons as to how many spots there are. The numbers change constantly, and it's even worse once you get to the squadron and select for which platform you want. The Navy tells each squadron each week how many, for Primary, Panel Navs (P-3/E-6/EP-3) or Carrier Aviation (F14/F18/E2/EA6/S3) people they need. After intermediate you either go E2 or stay on for Strike-Fighter and will be either an 18 or EA6 NFO (don't hold your breath for 14s as a pilot, you can no longer get them until you already have three years on the books as a winged aviator and go through Top Gun). So, you can see that things are pretty much up in the air all the time. I won't know which platform I may get in the future until my Intermediate graduation day, when they will tell all of us at the ceremony. Anyway, both jobs have their pros and cons, but just try to rememebr that you're lucky you've even been selected to do this, be happy you'll have the chance to be in a Navy plane, and just try to excel at whichever job they give you. If you're unhappy at any point, just keep going, you have no idea how much better things get as you progress through this training and your future career starts to take shape. Good luck!

Vic

Your MOM!
pilot
Ann,
Thanks for your insight. You've made me feel better about NFO. Keep us posted on the platform you receive.

Don't sweat the small stuff!

dewahl

Thought I would bring this to the front again and see if there is anyone else joining me on 13OCT. Down to the 2 month mark (almost).

Dave Wahl

grmaster1

Originally posted by dewahl
Thought I would bring this to the front again and see if there is anyone else joining me on 13OCT. Down to the 2 month mark (almost).

Dave Wahl

I will be classing up on the 13OCT02--Navy's birthday![:D]

I will be in Pensacola on the 6th if anyone wants to get together for a last beer before hell...[}:)]
icon_smile_wink.gif
[8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.