• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

10 week OCS

tperng

I just got accepted into the 10 week program for OCS. Just wondering if anyone has graduated from OCC before and can give some tips and advice? I've read the posts on the PLC courses and it seems like sleep deprivation is the biggest thing at OCS. Is that also true for the 10 week program?

Also, my OSO has recommended that I bring extra socks and underwear to OCS. Does anyone know what colors are acceptable?

Thanks!

freshy

Genius by birth. Slacker by choice.
pilot
Uhh. White.
Only ankle socks for pt.
I recommend smart wool socks for boots.
You will sleep 3 hours a night on average. You'll get used to it after the first 2 weeks.

Bring lots of mole skin.
Bring some cuticle sissors for doctoring up your feet. Neosporin won't hurt. Take care of your own feet, don't rely on the corpsman. Bring athletes foot spray and foot powder. Bandaids.

Your feet will be very useful. You need to take care of your feet. Love the feet. Cherish the feet. Clean the feet.

Remember at ocs it's the SMALL THINGS that slowly add up and get people. Take blisters for example. Oh...I got a small blister, no biggie. Wow, that little blister is starting to leak pus now, that's weird, still no biggie. Wooah, my toe is all red now and kinda swollen now, maybe I shoulda cleaned it up after that hump. Oh well no biggie. Holy crap my entire foot is now infected, red, and I can't walk....I'm gonna have to see the doc and request light duty. Oh crap, now I'm on the plane home with crutches because I didn't clean my little boo boo.

I've seen that happen to many times. Good luck at ocs, and have fun.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Yeah, don't worry that it says juniors on the thread. It should be re-titled shipping to OCS as it's essentially the same. Congrats and good luck, Doc

NavyOCS

You get more than three hours of sleep! C`mon now. I would say I averaged about 6 hours. Some nights you will get a full eight and 7hrs if youve got firewatch. Then there are some where you get less.

Carno

Insane
Wow, you must have some crazy time management skills. I never got more than five hours until like the ninth week.

Midshipmanjosh

A couple things things that really helped me was

1. extra boot bands
2. BodyGlide (like vasoline but better and cleaner, you can find it at speciality running stores).
3. Thorlo Boot socks (black)
4. Compression Shorts for the humps

those were the huge little things that really helped me.

I have said it before and i'll say it again. The bodyglide/thorlo combonation saved my feet! I went through 2 sticks of the stuff in 10 weeks and it was worth every penny. I sold several sticks of the stuff to other guys in my platoon, but for most of them it was too late. Also, i recommended the combo to several guys who i shipped up with and everyone who bought it didn't get a blister while at OCS (these were 6 weekers and 10 weekers). Take that for what it is worth.

Also, i usually don't recommend other forums, but the www.marineocs.com forum has some great packing lists for all you who want to be prepared as possible.

Thats my 2 cents. . .

2nd Platoon/Alpha Co. 05

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
3 hours my ass...maybe during week one. Once you settle into the rythm, the sleep hours go up a lot. I probably averaged 6-7 after week 3. Just make sure to get all your **** marked and good to go early-
Ass was mentioned, check out the shipping to juniors thread. It covers all and is equally applicable to us 10 weekers. Just stay motivated and pay attention, and you'll be fine.

ip568

None
Also, my OSO has recommended that I bring extra socks and underwear to OCS. Does anyone know what colors are acceptable?

Don't do what I did! I showed up at OCS with a pair of paisley pajamas in my bag. "BIG mistake!"

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Back in my day...

Ok, well glad you all got things sorted out. IP568 - I would have paid good money to see that a$$chewing. Almost as fun as when our Candidate Company Commander started the Company back to the "house" without ANY of the instructors present.

tegtag

To answer the sock color question, I don't think it matters as long as they are black, olive drab green or tan. They issued us tan ones this summer (which sucked) and I brought black, wore the black and kept the tan ones for inspection as to always have a clean/nice pair.

As for feet problems go, yes take care of them but don't get scared by the stories. I only got one blister and that was from tying my boots too loose then walking the beloved bridge a few times. Some tips I followed were don't wear wet boots (or at least wet insoles) on anything major- humps, boot runs, etc. If you prefer, wear boot sock liners to help wick away the moisture under your boot socks. They helped my boots fit tighter as well. Most people powder their feet every night. I did sometimes but I didn't really like that numbing feeling the medicated foot powder gives you.