• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1 Point Waiver for Air Dilemma

Romez

Here is my question:

I scored a 4/5/4 on my ASTB. I currently have a 243 PFT (14 PU, 22:25, 100 SU), 24 years old and I am trying for the May OCC class. I got my results today and my OSO said that my scores were not high enough for him to warrant a 1 point waiver; is it in regards to my PFT or my ASTB?

If I don't get Air I will be putting my package up for Ground with the next board (end of this month I believe) but I wanted to get some feedback on whether I should pursue this.

Thanks to everyone who replies or gives their advice.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I can't answer the ASTB question but I can tell you that if possible your PFT needs to improve before you get to Quantico. My guess is a 243 would put you in the bottom 3rd or so of your class.

If they aren't all on leave someone currently at Quantico will be along to help shortly.

Slammer where are you? You're falling down on the job. What's the matter, Green Machine making you work for a change?

spinspilot

How many times have you taken the ASTB? I believe you are eligible for a waiver after taking the exam twice. If this was your first go at it, take it again and PASS. However if this was your third attempt, get the WAIVER!
Your PFT needs to be higher before you submit, this is in your control. No pain no gain.
If you get 6 more pull ups, you will have 30 extra points!
YOU CAN DO IT

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
You cannot get the waiver until you've taken the test ALL 3 TIMES! I had a friend that just did this. He took it twice and put in for a waiver. MCRC came back and said no love until you take it again. He studied and made straight 7s.

If your OSO didn't tell you that you could take it three times I don't know what he's thinking. Perhaps he sized you up as not worth his time. Prove him wrong.

mtsupilot09

"We lookin fo you. We gon find you!"
Re-take the ASTB man. Do you need a study book? I no longer need mine, you are welcome to it (it's ARCO). If you study the Navy/Marine ASTB section in the book very closely, the real ASTB will go quite smoothly. PM me if you are interested.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
Here is my question:

I scored a 4/5/4 on my ASTB. I currently have a 243 PFT (14 PU, 22:25, 100 SU), 24 years old and I am trying for the May OCC class. I got my results today and my OSO said that my scores were not high enough for him to warrant a 1 point waiver; is it in regards to my PFT or my ASTB?

If I don't get Air I will be putting my package up for Ground with the next board (end of this month I believe) but I wanted to get some feedback on whether I should pursue this.

Thanks to everyone who replies or gives their advice.

If its the same OSO I had when I was in Tallahassee then I'd suggest you up both of them. I recall hearing him say he wouldn't send someone with a PFT < 275. Additionally, you'd immediately be spotlighted at OCS with a PFT that low and your probability of graduating wouldn't be very high. Work on your run time and pullups (I'm assuming you're maxing the crunches), get the Marine Gouge for the ASTB, study for two weeks, and retake the ASTB.

Hes also a great guy, if he is in fact the same Marine I am thinking of - He worked through some pretty big issues that allowed me to commission into the Marine Corps as an SNA.

Also, PM sent.

Romez

It is my second attempt (first time went 4/4/5). I over studied the math and kind of disregarded the rest because I felt math was my weakness.

I am not very good at math (took College Algebra twice with a C as a final result); once I get into API and Primary, is the math get progressively harder? I don't want to go head over heels trying to get this, just to get dropped from API.

I am currently working on my PFT trying to get those last 6.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Definitely take it again. You'll have to put your package on hold for the ASTB wait time, but if you want to fly then make it happen.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Seriously, do yourself a favor and don't be an idiot. You can easily do better than that on the ASTB, which will make a difference (as in you will qualify for real).

torpedo0126

It is my second attempt (first time went 4/4/5). I over studied the math and kind of disregarded the rest because I felt math was my weakness.

I am not very good at math (took College Algebra twice with a C as a final result); once I get into API and Primary, is the math get progressively harder? I don't want to go head over heels trying to get this, just to get dropped from API.

I am currently working on my PFT trying to get those last 6.

No there is little math needed in API. There are computations but they are straight forward and you use a flight calculator.

However, I don't think math will give you trouble at API, the study habits will. No offense, but your scores did not change at all after the second test, which to me means, either you didn't study or you legitimately didn't get it. Thats not good for API.

In my opinion, the material at API is a joke. Its stuff you learned in middle school. However, the cutoff is 80% and the averages are 92-96%. This puts a lot of pressure for you to know the stuff and not be a marginal performer.

aukonak

Chances are you'll have a hard time going ground with a PFT score like that. They're so hard to come by lately (at least out of the Fairfax office) that guys with 280+ PFT's are the only ones with any chance going ground in May, and there's quite a waiting list for October.

Study, study, study, and take it again. Bone up on the other areas especially aviation knowledge. I know I got at least half my math section wrong and I squeaked by with a 6/6/6.

But seriously, with some hard work your PFT score should easily be up to 280 by your pre-ship...check out the armstrong pull-up program and killer's crunch routine.

pwdbyhrses

Good luck on the waiver. We were just told there will not be any 1 point waivers because they were all given to the Naval Academy.