• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

“‘Magic: The Gathering’ is Turing complete. The World’s most complex game.”

RoarkJr.

“As reported by the MIT Technology Review, a new proof shows that optimal play in Magic: The Gathering is so difficult that a computer would be unable to figure out the winner, offering lasting implications for the field of game theory.”

As a lifelong magic the gathering player this is pretty cool to see. For those not familiar with the game I liken (very broadly) to a mix of poker and chess. Somewhat like chess in that there are defined parameters for what a turn looks like and for what certain cards can do, and like poker in the sense that there are variance/bluffing factors.

I recently discovered that a magic Hall of Famer was also a Brazilian jujitsu guy. A Brazilian jujitsu guy who was also a Hornet pilot told Me how similar flying and BJJ were, which got me thinking about the game. It seems like when it comes to optimizing high-performance in extremely complex environments there’s a lot of overlap in general concepts, e.g., “flow.”

Anyway, I thought I would post to either connect with fellow enthusiasts and/or generate discussion.

Pags

N/A
pilot
What about Pokemon?

I played MTG as a dorky kid with my buds. I still stay in touch with and hang out with those guys. So, one time a week before I was supposed to go to Boston to hang out my buds I got a box in the mail. One of my friends had sent us all MTG starter kits so we could all build a deck and play while together. Was a nice way to spend an evening with some old friends.

RoarkJr.

What about Pokemon?

I played MTG as a dorky kid with my buds. I still stay in touch with and hang out with those guys. So, one time a week before I was supposed to go to Boston to hang out my buds I got a box in the mail. One of my friends had sent us all MTG starter kits so we could all build a deck and play while together. Was a nice way to spend an evening with some old friends.

That’s great, I do the same with my cousin and brother whenever we get together. I don’t know much about Pokémon gameplay but I’d wager it doesn’t measure up to Magic. I think there’s a reason it’s still on top and growing after 30 years, and have the fantasy aspect wouldn’t be enough on its own.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Well I’d be the “goes to brewery with dog and crossfit gear on” guy but I’m allergic to pets and, well, not lame. Everyone knows “nerd” is a compliment these days ?
I always found something funny about the guys in HS who made fun of the nerds who then went on to play fantasy football/baseball. It's the exact same thing just with centers and QBs instead of wizards and goblins.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I always found something funny about the guys in HS who made fun of the nerds who then went on to play fantasy football/baseball. It's the exact same thing just with centers and QBs instead of wizards and goblins.
La-CMJ.gif

Sonog

pilot

I find it funny when grown men unironically make fun of nerds (I'm not saying anyone in this thread has, I didn't turn on my sarcasm meter). Its a loud insecurity flag in my book.

brownshoe

Contributor
My favorite games were by Sierra (yup I'm old), my first was: