• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine aviation options/chances

SaucyGoon1776

So I just got an air contract as a freshman with the PLC, going to OCS this summer. I want to be a fighter pilot obviously or a least attack helicopter (viper/supercobra). Just wondering what my chances really are for getting something like that, but also open to other opportunities in aviation or infantry. I’ve heard of different things like CAS, WTI, and a some other stuff and was wondering if you guys could point me in the direction to some more options or just show me kind of how the whole aviation world works. By the way my ASTB scores were 7,7,6 54.
Also would it be easier to get picked for vipers than getting picked for jets or are fighters and attack helicopters looked at on the same level? I’ve heard that it’s easier to get picked for helicopters but I don’t know if that also applies for the attack models.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was looking more for someone to tell me “yeah your chances are pretty good” or “i don’t know man it takes a little more than that to fly fighters”
Assuming you graduate from college and don’t rack up a DUI or sexual assault charge along the way... then assuming you make it past the legion of Navy Flight Surgeons who are looking for any excuse to deem you Not Physically Qualified... then assuming you make it through API, Primary, and Advanced flight training without fucking it away in just one of 1000 possible pitfalls... and your timing (which you don’t control) works out... then you have a non-zero chance of selecting a platform which may possibly lead to you being a fighter pilot.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Lol what is that??
I wasn’t sure what it was either...so I engaged the Google machine [about 2 minutes ago]...and it basically stated that shitter pilots fly the -53. That information is very cool because now I can route a fabulous memo up through the chain of command at our amazing airwarriors.com helo squadron [HELNONMONKSPANKRON] which is lead by the almighty Skipper @Griz882...to have the squadron name changed to SHITNONMONKSPANKRON. ?

LATE ENTRY: Thanks @Treetop Flyer for stating “shitter pilot” to get our hopeful squadron name change rolling. We’ll see what the almighty Skipper @Griz882 says...so stayed tuned, dude. ?

Last edited:

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Assuming you graduate from college and don’t rack up a DUI or sexual assault charge along the way... then assuming you make it past the legion of Navy Flight Surgeons who are looking for any excuse to deem you Not Physically Qualified... then assuming you make it through API, Primary, and Advanced flight training without fucking it away in just one of 1000 possible pitfalls... and your timing (which you don’t control) works out... then you have a non-zero chance of selecting a platform which may possibly lead to you being a fighter pilot.
Dang...that sounds pretty accurate...a little on the “Debbie Downer” side...but pretty accurate.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
Also would it be easier to get picked for vipers than getting picked for jets or are fighters and attack helicopters looked at on the same level? I’ve heard that it’s easier to get picked for helicopters but I don’t know if that also applies for the attack models.

Yes. All of the above is true. The Skid community would love to have you onboard.

Make sure you bring lube.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Yes. All of the above is true. The Skid community would love to have you onboard.

Make sure you bring lube.

When you show up for Primary, if they like the cut of your jib, you'll be fast-tracked to fighters. Any missteps and they'll downgrade you to attack helos...

Seriously, do some more research about Marine aviation, if you're inbound to PLC. Search this site. Google the Marine Aviation Plan for big picture info.

@Brett327 also lays out very salient info about what you should be focusing on

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

Spend some time going through the sub-forums and do some reading. A lot of what you're asking is covered in there. The expectation on this site (and with the various Officer corps as a whole) is to do some of your own legwork first, then come back with specific questions for clarification.

We're happy to help, but when it's the same question all the time, it gets tedious.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
So I just got an air contract as a freshman with the PLC, going to OCS this summer. I want to be a fighter pilot obviously or a least attack helicopter (viper/supercobra). Just wondering what my chances really are for getting something like that, but also open to other opportunities in aviation or infantry. I’ve heard of different things like CAS, WTI, and a some other stuff and was wondering if you guys could point me in the direction to some more options or just show me kind of how the whole aviation world works. By the way my ASTB scores were 7,7,6 54.

Your selection will be dictated by:

1. The needs of the Marine Corps the week you finish primary flight training.
  2. How good at “being a Marine” type of stuff the COL feels you are.
  3. Your grades and instructor feedback in primary flight training.
  4. What you want.

You’ve got about a 10-20% chance at jets, 10-20% chance at Skids, 10% chance of getting attrited due to airsickness, 10% of becoming a ground guy because you suck at flying, a 30% chance of an Osprey draft, a 1-5% chance of flying Herks, the rest of a % chance of you flying Shitters, a 0% chance if you don’t make it through OCS, TBS and API first and a 100% chance of the Marine Corps not ever caring about what you desire.