• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Active shooter at NAS Pensacola

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None
Question, if anyone can answer:
It's been 20 years since I was in API and I'm sure the building I was in has been torn down and everything has changed. Also, I was never stashed or pooled, so please forgive my ignorance. So, did this asshat walk into one of the Enlisted Aircrew classrooms and start shooting, then go out to the quarterdeck and get confronted by the Ensign Watson at the desk? (That kid died a badass, by the way. Not sure I would've done what he did.)

I guess I just don't get the logistics of it.

We had the Three Al's (Al-Habibi, Al-Bagdhadi, Al-Whatever, etc.) in VT-10 with us and they were just a running joke. Terrible at everything. They rolled two or three classes to get through each subject. Everyone knew they were just paying customers. This was pre-9/11, so we didn't feel one way or another about them other than their shit performance. We did catch them at Babe's (titty bar) one night and their eyes were the size of dinner plates. Don't get much of that in Riyadh.

Dontcallmegump

pilot
I'd guess Air Boss or CNATRA. My winging certs are signed by CNATRA.

I actually read about this in an instruction the other day. Theres a process outlined in CANATRA 1500.4H that states the begining of the process. I believe it said CANATRA was the decider.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Follow the process - sounds like it's already being discussed at the CNATRA level. Probably should be coordinated through Schools Command.

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
Question, if anyone can answer:
It's been 20 years since I was in API and I'm sure the building I was in has been torn down and everything has changed.

According to reporting, the shooting took place in Building 633. When I went through the academic elements of API in 1986 and 1987 as part of the AOCS syllabus, our classes were in Building 633. I walked around what used to be AOCS land when I was at a squadron reunion in P'cola last October; the building was still there and being used.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Two guys in my RAG class DQ'd the boat and were redesignated as NFO's. They were complete with the FRS and still had to go do a syllabus at VT-86 because CNATRA wouldnt just wing them.

I think he's in charge.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Still trying to get over why someone thought this was appropriate given the trainee's religion and country of residence.
It probably wasn't - especially considering it probably came from (speculating here) a crusty old retiree/prior service instructor. But, it is a part of Naval Aviation culture. It was a joke, a rib, part of the inculcation of making Naval Aviators and Flight Officers.