• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Withdrew OCS nomination

KAK6060

Last year I was accepted to OCS as a SNA and given a start date. This came after lengthy waiver processes for my eyes and depth perception (after failing at MEPS). Flying was my dream, so I went to a handful of doctors to get their opinions on my eyes and almost all of them said I wouldn't have a chance at passing recurring flight physicals, so I withdrew my acceptance to remain in good standing with my current job.

I recently learned that they now allow you to take the randot test for depth perception, and at the peak of my vision therapy training, I've passed that one before. The bottom line is, I want to re-apply and give it a shot on the basis that if I juice up my eyes with the therapy exercises, I think I can pass randot agian and fly...dream come true. I've scheduled an eye exam for next week to evaluate the current status of my eyes and depth perception.

Does anybody know how reapplying for OCS works? Is it a one and done situation where since I withdrew the first time, they won't give me another shot? Do I have to re-start the entire OCS application process? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
So wait, you were N3M PQ'd for Pilot, got PROREC'd, and turned it down because your civilian doctor said you wouldn't pass a flight physical?

Because your excuse for turning down an OCS spot wasn't a "mitigating circumstance", good luck trying to explain to the boards why they should give you a second chance. You were offered once before, and very unlikely they offer you a second shot.

Last edited:

KAK6060

So wait, you were N3M PQ'd for Pilot, got PROREC'd, and turned it down because your civilian doctor said you wouldn't pass a flight physical?

At a very top-level, yes. I was diagnosed with amblyopia (a lazy eye), so they said passing any type of stereoscopic test (especially the hard ones) was totally variable on many conditions - such as stress, sleep, hunger, etc. I know i can pass randot if i bust my ass with vision therapy though, I've done it once before.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
First, what Rufio said - you had a spot, and turned it down. Seems unlikely they'd offer you another one.
The bottom line is, I want to re-apply and give it a shot on the basis that if I juice up my eyes with the therapy exercises, I think I can pass randot agian and fly...dream come true.
Second, this sentence suggests that you don't really get it. There's more to it than just passing the test.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
At a very top-level, yes. I was diagnosed with amblyopia (a lazy eye), so they said passing any type of stereoscopic test (especially the hard ones) was totally variable on many conditions - such as stress, sleep, hunger, etc. I know i can pass randot if i bust my ass with vision therapy though, I've done it once before.

... but you passed a military physical at MEPS. You're not getting it. You were deemed physically qualified by N3M for Pilot/NFO, was offered to become an officer, and you turned it down because some doctor out in town said you would fail the flight physical. Hate to say it, but you shot yourself in the foot big time and very likely the chance to ever become a Naval Officer.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I'll echo again: you had a slot and turned it down. It would be one thing to re-apply for a different designator after turning down another (still not good), but you're applying for something they already gave to you.

Second, going into WHY (you think) you needed to turn it down and now you're ok is opening up pandora's medical bag. I.e.: "I had a problem with my eyes, but I'm cool now" is probably not going to resonate with the board at best, and might cause them to demand all sorts of in-depth eye testing that you may actually not pass at worst, and get permanently DQed thanks to your paranoia.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Erase the board, wash off the residue of your past...poor thinking, and try for Army aviation. They have lots of helicopters and they are still getting hours in the air.

exNavyOffRec

... but you passed a military physical at MEPS. You're not getting it. You were deemed physically qualified by N3M for Pilot/NFO, was offered to become an officer, and you turned it down because some doctor out in town said you would fail the flight physical. Hate to say it, but you shot yourself in the foot big time and very likely the chance to ever become a Naval Officer.

I believe he said he failed DP at MEPS and went to a civilian to pass