• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Will my past ruin my chances?

CEC_Hopeful

Hey all,

(Sorry it's a long post, but I don't want to leave out information that might matter)

I am a junior in mechanical engineering (3.5gpa top 20 engineering school) currently working as a coop. I am fit and will score well with PRT I am sure. Unfortunately, when I was a freshman I was stupid at a party and went to the ER. There was no ticket,citation, or police involment (i.e. Not on record), but it is on my medical record because I tested .17 BAC. My question is will I still have a chance at selection given how the military is cracking down on alcohol, to be accepted into the CEC collegiate program.

If this matters, I will also likely have to obtain a waiver for childhood asthma. I am in the process of scheduling a PFT preferably a methacholine challenge test (just need insurance to pick it up because it's not cheap). If I can pass, I might not even need a waiver, the MEPs doctor may just approve me.

I am in the process of trying to get a recruiter's attention, but until then I thought I would ask all of you.

Thanks

Renegade One

None
Hey all,

(Sorry it's a long post, but I don't want to leave out information that might matter)

I am a junior in mechanical engineering (3.5gpa top 20 engineering school) currently working as a coop. I am fit and will score well with PRT I am sure. Unfortunately, when I was a freshman I was stupid at a party and went to the ER. There was no ticket,citation, or police involment (i.e. Not on record), but it is on my medical record because I tested .17 BAC. My question is will I still have a chance at selection given how the military is cracking down on alcohol, to be accepted into the CEC collegiate program.

If this matters, I will also likely have to obtain a waiver for childhood asthma. I am in the process of scheduling a PFT preferably a methacholine challenge test (just need insurance to pick it up because it's not cheap). If I can pass, I might not even need a waiver, the MEPs doctor may just approve me.

I am in the process of trying to get a recruiter's attention, but until then I thought I would ask all of you.

Thanks
Caveat: I'm no expert, and some of the folks here who are close to the OR thing will give you more meaningful advice. BUT…I'd be disappointed/surprised if a single instance of "freshman idiocy" with no legal outfall was a big deal. You seem to have learned from it. I can't speak to the asthma stuff, but it sounds like you've done your homework.

Good luck…keep up the GPA and the PT. Those ALWAYS make a difference.

romoth

I was Pro Rec Y in December with a similar incident. I would be more worried about the childhood asthma.

You will never know until you apply.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It sounds like you are on top of the medical issue. Just remember, it was juvenile asthma. You are no longer a juvenile. Asthma is often misdiagnosed in children and, of course, it is called juvenile asthma because it affects kids and often clears up in adulthood. ALWAYS, ALWAYS, reference the juvenile or childhood. Never say asthma without that qualifier, NEVER. Always note the high level of physical activity you are maintaining in adulthood. Certainly the tests will bear this out, but don't let a preconceived idea lodge in anyone's head.

Rockriver

pilot
If there was "no ticket, citation, or police involment", then there is indeed no record and you should be fine. I don't think any background investigator will delve through your past medical records, since the Navy will be examining every square inch of your body anyway. Just don't go bragging about this stuff to your recruiter or any Navy doctors.

.17 BAC! Really? What ever happened to the adage that a fighter pilot is never really drunk as long as he can hold onto one blade of grass and not fall off the face of the earth?

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
You only need to bring medical records that are relevant to problems the navy cares about. You'll be told "bring everything" - no one actually does. There might have been a question about hospitalization if I recall, but if not you weren't admitted overnight then you might not even have to talk about it.