• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Whiting Pistol/Rifle Qual

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
Has anyone been through the rigmarole of getting their pistol/rifle quals while in primary/advanced at whiting? Since that command doesn't physically qualify anyone we potentially have the option to qual with a contractor. Said contractor explained that we have to find out if the CO or someone in the CoC with directive from the CO will sign off on the quals. Anyone know where I should start without pissing the wrong person off by asking a question like this? Another month or so until I class up so I figured I'd knock it out.

Thanks

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
I'd talk with student control. Or spend more time on the beach, your fleet command will get you a 9mm qual at the very least, and you won't have to pay for it.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Concur. There's really no reason for the Navy to qualify you at this point. "Because I want a ribbon" doesn't break your VT leadership's give a shit threshold, so don't burden them with any additional admin requirements. If you want to be a good marksman, there are plenty of options for that out in town.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Honestly,
I'd start by walking into the Skeds shop and ask them to work it for you.

They are usually quiet around 1330-1430, that would be a good time.

If they really need a reason, go with "Because FPCON Bravo!" and if that doesn't work, try "Murica!"
Pickle

When I went through API there were some folks that were going to some local civilian and going through a pistol qualification course, and then wearing the ribbon. I don't think this was ever sanctioned by anyone in the Navy, but just some local yokel making money on the side to support his shooting hobby. Technically, to be qualified you need to undergo weapons safety, familiarization and marksmanship training within 30 days before your live fire, and it's recommended you complete the computer based training for the weapon in question. Knowing that people didn't do that, the local guy isn't the way to go. For you to shoot at a Navy range using their SAMI would require some other command to let you in on their shoot, using their weapons and their ammo. The odds of that are pretty much zero while you're at API. You'll probably have to wait until you're in a fleet squadron.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Honestly,
I'd start by walking into the Skeds shop and ask them to work it for you.

They are usually quiet around 1330-1430, that would be a good time.

If they really need a reason, go with "Because FPCON Bravo!" and if that doesn't work, try "Murica!"
Pickle

NRDPortlandOR

http://iwillnotbeavictim.com/

Give Ron a call. He's a fully qualified rangemaster and is authorized to sign off on a 3591/1. I think I paid $150 back in January 2014. He'll do about an hour of instruction, administer the quals, then shoot some more with you. If you bring your own ammo, he'll let you stay until you're all out. Cool guy, but a little crazy. He spent about an hour after we were done telling me about different conspiracy theories he has.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
So you can spend $150 for a ribbon/medal? Sweet. Although I think you can spend around $10 to buy the same thing at that the NEX.

If you want to shoot, then go shoot, in whatever form (organized class, bullet hose, etc), but don't pay $150 just to get bling on your chest that you'll already get within the following next 1-2 years.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Is that for reals or just something that has been passed down in A-Pool? I have a little bit of a hard time believing that is kosher.

I'd agree, however...

I've qual'ed Expert a couple of times, but it would never manage to get into my record. I think I've finally been successful in getting it in there, but the way we finally did it was signing what was essentially an Excel spreadsheet print out with my name on it. Shady, but that's how I roll.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd agree, however...I've qual'ed Expert a couple of times, but it would never manage to get into my record. I think I've finally been successful in getting it in there, but the way we finally did it was signing what was essentially an Excel spreadsheet print out with my name on it. Shady, but that's how I roll.

I am presuming your qualifications were done through official channels though and not by Billy Bob out in town. This guy doesn't even seem like a contractor with an official link to the Navy, just some guy claiming to have the authority to bless people as 'qualified' with a weapon. Sorry, but for except for rare and unique situations I haven't seen that sort of set up be 'legal'.

At the very least though I have to give the guy some credit, I am sure he has made thousands off this scam.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Oh, no, I totally agree. Yes, mine were multiple squadron quals with SAMIs, etc. I just thought it was amusing how what was eventually accepted was probably less official than what this guy generates.

...or at least I assume it was accepted. NSIPS, in its usual helpfulness, still says "Validating" I think.