• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Where to live in Monterey, CA?

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
I'm coming here because I trust that ya'll know the best places to hang your hat at any given duty station.

My husband got orders to NPS. Not being familiar with the Monterey area at all, I am not sure of where to start looking for a place to live. We are a young couple, no kids and no pets. Does anyone have recommendations on places to live? Places to avoid? Is the base housing worth looking into there?

Pretty much any advice you can give on the area and rental properties there would be fantastic!

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Most people I know in your demographic live in:
a) Pacific Grove (PG), so they can walk to bars and the waterfront,
b) Monterey, so they can walk to the other bars and the waterfront, or
c) Just South of NPS (in Monterey), so the stud can walk to school (pretty convenient).

With the monster BAH here, there's no reason to live farther out. Seaside has some nice big houses, but there's nothing going on here (fine if you have kids). I know a couple who are pretty happy in base housing, but you can't make money on BAH that way, and it's in Seaside (on old Fort Ord, not on NPS). There is base housing closer to NPS, but I think it's filled by O-4s and international students first.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
When I was there I lived in base housing in La Mesa. It was super convenient because I could walk to work in 15 minutes or drive in 5. They have privatized and redone all of the housing there and it's really nice so it may be hard to get now. I don't know what condition the housing up on Ft Ord is in. Circa 2005 it was the older and less desirable housing to get.

The BAH is really good there so if you do it right you can make some money by renting out in town. If you have several kids it may make more sense financially to stay in base housing, assuming you're trying to keep your rent below the BAH level.

That said, and depending on your family size, I would go with (in order of preference), Monterey proper, PG, Carmel (if you can find a place you can afford) and then Seaside. Your money would probably go farther in Seaside but Monterey proper is centrally located to everything you can get to on the peninsula.

helo_wifey

We have orders there for August next year and plan to live off base. We made that mistake once living on and won't do it again. We have friends there now (no kids) in base housing and they like it but I don't think it's going to be for us (we've lived in base housing in Japan and here on Guam).

I'm looking at all the places suggested above, PG, Carmel and Monterey specifically. Craigslist is the go-to place for rentals and from what I hear the good ones go fast.

Our plan (moving from overseas with pets and kids) is to find a furnished vacation rental while we house hunt. From what I've found those can be had for BAH.

You can check out the groups on FB for more info, I have found some good info on there despite the virtual knives club feeling.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
The married w/ children perspective: 2013 O3 w/ dependents BAH for the area got reduced by $300 (about 12%), but the housing market that relies a lot on military tenants doesn't quite know it yet. There are property owners who like dealing with military who didn't know that their bargain property wasn't that much of a bargain anymore. After viewing a bunch of places, renting out in town was a no-brainer at the previous rate as a well-kept place in Monterey/PG/Carmel could be had for $2400-2700/mo, but at the 2013 rate that puts you right at BAH or a bit over after utilities. The places that come in at those rates tend to be similarly sized to the renovated 3 BR ranches on La Mesa, which is about 1200 sq ft, so it's a wash and depending on the location you lose the ability to walk/jog to the school If you want anything bigger in those neighborhoods then you get into the $2800-3200/mo range.

Note for the single guys: there's not a whole lot outside of a bunch of tourist-trap priced restaurants in Monterey to walk to, so being close to NPS is really the only reason to pay the premium for being in one of those neighborhoods. My wife and I like getting bugers at a local bar for dinner but we haven't had luck finding a good joint. Lots of seafood places at $15-30/plate, though.

Craigslist is littered with owners who think that they can move from a house they've lived in for 10+ years and get $2200/mo for their houses without doing any upkeep. The further away from the coast you get, the more square feet for your dollar you tend to get. Realtors in the area must not get commission or something because they think their jobs are to hang out in the office and do nothing until you call them with a property that you independently researched but they happen to have a contract with the owner.

For a 2 BR you can find a well maintained place for $2200-2400, and lowe if you value banking BAH over cleanliness and comfort.

Base housing fills up the renovated sections quickly on La Mesa and they will only hold a place max 14 days in advance (I don't know if that is standard as this was my first experience dealing with base housing). They have a lot of availability in their older section, and don't charge full BAH for them, but those apartments are very poorly maintained. Probably won't please the mrs. after she sees the renovated section. Ord has a lot of availability due to its location, but the homes are renovated and have more square footage than La Mesa. Thing is, if you're going to live that far away then you can probably rent a bigger home in the nice section of Seaside for that amount of money, and you don't share a wall with neighbors. The downside to Seaside is there is literally nothing in walking distance outside of sketchy Asian restaurants. Like, the main roads have 25-33% of their buildings abandoned nothing.

I have not looked at anything in Salinas. They have ads for 3-4 BRs under BAH that look well maintained, but there's a 30-45 minute commute that goes with that.

Furnished rentals/vacation homes typically go for $2500-3000/week.

ghost

working, working, working ...
pilot
My wife and I like getting bugers at a local bar for dinner but we haven't had luck finding a good joint. Lots of seafood places at $15-30/plate, though.

17th Street Grill in PG has pretty good burgers.

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
My two cents as I'm about to depart NPS. Most of the guys in my cohort lived in PG and biked to school every day. One lived just west of campus and could make it from his couch to class in about five minutes. His place was pretty cheap but was very small. I lived in Del Monte Beach and loved it here. 4 blocks from the beach, which was great just to walk down and see the water; a kickass Crossfit gym a five minute walk away, easy access to the freeway to get anywhere. However, it's pricey for the size ($2500 for ~1300 sf) but it worked out great for us and we had a kid while we were here, too.

Incidentally, we had a few friends who lived on the ridge (look at Google's terrain feature) and they paid out the ass for heat when it started to get cold - the microclimates here are ridiculous. The ridge gets clobbered with clouds much more frequently than my area did - we got fogged in roughly a tenth of the time that they did, if not less, and our bills were easily half of theirs.