• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Where to get PRK

Calcutta126

Gay guitar pickers don't turn me on
There is a lot of info about PRK on here, but I need to get the surgery to have any hope of ever getting into a cockpit. I would like some recomendations on wher to get it done. I live in Pensacola. Is it better to stay local for follow ups or complications or should I seek out the best in the US. Any tips?

SubmarineWife

We took a trip about 3 years ago to Bethesda for my husband to get the surgery. No expense of course, and staying in town for 3 days was no big deal. He had all follow-up at our MTF.

exo

I"m sorry, I can't help you with where to get the surgery. I'd recommend doing your own research since they are your own eyes and with all the hype about how is it is, it is important to remember it is a pretty big deal still. Also, do NOT bargain shop for your surgeon. You don't want to go to a guy who is significantly cheaper, because there is a reason for it.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
I went here:

http://www.clearvieweyes.com

They're in San Diego and I live in Northern Arizona. Completely worth every penny. I don't mind the drive or having to stay in a hotel. They're great people. That said, you should be able to find somebody on the east coast, too. And if you do go someplace else for your surgery, make sure you have somebody go with you who will be willing to drive you back and forth and go out and get dinner and stuff. You won't be a happy camper for the first few days.

isshinwhat

None
http://emeraldeye.com/about/staff/poppell.html

Dr. Poppell did my PRK surgery in 2004. I went from 20/400 to 20/15 and was very pleased with him and his staff, from the initial visit through the follow-ups. I also discovered that the eye doc here on base went to him for an eye surgery post -53 crash that took him out of the cockpit and he said the same thing of the service he received. Dr. Poppell was the Chief of Ophthalmology at Wright-Pat AFB for almost 10 years, too. I cannot speak highly enough of him and his staff. PM me if you have any questions and I'll be glad to answer them.

Calcutta126

Thank you all for the info. West coast might be out of the question for me but Emerald Eye center about a 45 min to an hour drive. Good doc, close to home. Thanks for that one. Ill be looking into it.

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
I went with TLC and have satisfied so far (day 3 post-op). They were close, had a top-notch Herr Doktor (2000 Doc of the year apparently), and cheap too. There are 4 centers in FL, although a Georgia location may be closer to you.
Florida
Georgia

As far as celebrity endorsements go, TLC has got y'all beat. Hey, Tiger Woods can't be wrong! (Who knew his correction was -11 pre-op!?)

NUFO06

None
What if your already down here in school when is the best time to get laser eye surgery. Is there time after winging, when can we start asking for an endorsement to get the navy to do it?

Jeff29

Science Project
Emory Vision in Atlanta has a pretty good reputation. Birmingham also has some decent doctors. I couldn't find any docs that I really felt comfortable with in Pensacola (although that was a few years ago). Don't rule out traveling to find the right doc.

In my experience, Navy docs won't give official recommendations about eye surgeons, but you might try to get in touch with an opthomologist at NAMI and ask if they would be willing to provide names of eye surgeons who have experience doing surgery on SNA applicants. Approach it from a standpoint of 'I want to use a doc who understands how the Navy does things and has experience with the Navy's requirements and procedures.....'.

Good Luck.

JonAir

I would recommend doing the post-op exams locally. It will save you a lot of time, especially since there are so many required check ups in order to get the PRK waiver for your flight physical. Also if there are any problems during your post-op exams you can always make the trip to your surgeon. I wouldn't how ever choose a surgeon just because they are local. When I had mine done I figured I only had one pair of eyes, so I didn't want someone to screw them up.

Calcutta126

What is the cost for Emory to do PRK? Also how much am I looking at for a reputable surgeon? I'm not even going to look at the price tag when I find a good surgeon but I need to know a ballpark figure to save. I was planning on around $4000. Any idea on if I'm too high or too low or just right would be a big help

paigeme04

What is the cost for Emory to do PRK? Also how much am I looking at for a reputable surgeon? I'm not even going to look at the price tag when I find a good surgeon but I need to know a ballpark figure to save. I was planning on around $4000. Any idea on if I'm too high or too low or just right would be a big help

http://mcceyeinstitute.com/index.cfm/procedures/prk

I am having LASIK done at the Eye Institute off of N Davis Hwy in Pensacola in March.... but they also do PRK....

For LASIK the price depends on your vision - at least for them - I am -6 and -5.75 and it is going to be $1800 per eye... the most is $2000 per eye I believe... so $4000 would be a good amount to have...

Although this is LASIK, I would recommend calling them to see what info you can get... they will do a free consultation to see if you are eligible and all of that good stuff!

Good luck with your search!