• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What to bring when you check in

flyman3456

Goshawk
This is in addition to anything you may have already heard.

I am at OCS now, graduating on Friday. Do not bring starch. We have probably 50 bottles of starch floating around. It just gets thrown away or ends up in the candios supply hatch.

The ironing boards we have are old and falling apart. We need some new full size boards. Bring them with you at check in. Yes you can check in with a huge ironing board. If you dont want to bring an ironing board, bring an ironing blanet to cover these nasty ones.

Blue tape is always helpful as well as goo gone for indocs. I believe there is quite a bit of goo gone in one of the supply hatches on the second floor. If you dont bring goo gone, ask a candio for some. They can definatly locate plenty.

Bring everything with you when you check in (cell phones included). It will all get stored in your lucky bag in the lucky bag room. POV runs were rare over my 12 weeks. Although other classes seemed to get at least a few, I didn't have any.

This is all I can think of for now. I'll probably think of some more as we move out over the next two days.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
I'd disagree about bringing an ironing board. The extra attention from being that guy who brought an ironing board to OCS because someone posted it on Air Warriors is not something you want. You'll get a run to the NEX or you can just put a tshirt over the ones they have now. He's right about keeping stuff in your bag vice your POV--it's not exactly easy to get to your car.

Honestly, I can't think of any "extra" items you should bring or secret tips to help you through OCS other than study beforehand and get in great shape.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Seriously dude? Do not bring an ironing board to InDoc. You'll look like an idiot. If the ironing boards are really that nasty, Reg Supply needs to get off his ass and get some ironing board covers (and probably some trash bags, as there were never any).

<rant>If you're a really good Candio, go to the NEX and buy one for the InDocs. Take care of them, as their success is your job. You might have to put on a tough face with them, but if you're a genuine dick, go fvck yourself. Also, don't be the CandiO class that hogs all the good ironing boards. OCS sucks enough, don't resort to screwing over others to get through.</rank>

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
Yeaaaaaa, bringing an Ironing board is probably the worst idea EVER for a new indoc checking in. I was on scream team as a candio and if I saw some indoc with an Ironing board standing there, I wouldve been ALL OVER HIS SHIT.

Save yourself some attention and don't bring it with you.

If you're a really good Candio, go to the NEX and buy one for the InDocs. Take care of them, as their success is your job. You might have to put on a tough face with them, but if you're a genuine dick, go fvck yourself. Also, don't be the CandiO class that hogs all the good ironing boards. OCS sucks enough, don't resort to screwing over others to get through

Probably some of the best advice I've ever heard. You can give shit as a candio, but your job is to mentor. I wouldve def did this ( I didnt at the time because the ironing boards were fine).

But seriously though, DO NOT bring an ironing board. Or do it.....and see what happens.

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
well if congress would sign off on a budget, supply could order some new shit. Until then, everything will continue to be worn out, because they are demolishing the building in less than a year. Do what synix said and hook your ship mates up. Buy what you need to pass your inspections and leave it when you check out. I imagine no one bought full size ironing boards because they didnt want to get caught looking un-uniform and disgusting carrying a huge ironing board marching back. buy a couple extra towels at the small nex for 2.18 a piece and lay that on the ironing boards

lowster

As a future guy going, there is no way I will be walking into OCS carrying a huge ironing board! The last thing I want is to give the DI's a reason to single me out for negative reasons

A

AlexSmart

"lucky bag in the lucky bag room" <---- What's this? I am flying, not driving, into Newport couple days before I start so I'll be bringing two bags: one for OCS bare essentials and one for, well, everything else. So they have a holding closet somewhere for phone/laptop/whatever bag?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Sorta. That's the lucky bag room for RLP. All the stuff that doesn't go in your room goes in your seabag in that room. There's another lucky bag room for all your nasty civilian gear.

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
"lucky bag in the lucky bag room" <---- What's this? I am flying, not driving, into Newport couple days before I start so I'll be bringing two bags: one for OCS bare essentials and one for, well, everything else. So they have a holding closet somewhere for phone/laptop/whatever bag?

I would try to avoid having your laptop in your lucky bag. I have seen bags be tossed around more than in the airlines in that room.

Travis2688

There will be a room that you put all of your 'unauthorized' civilian items in the day you check in. From my experience, do not bring starch or anything like that. I remember there being literally hundreds of cans of it floating around in old candio supply closets. The best thing you can take with you is a knowledge of the required memory items. If you already know all of the things you are supposed to know VERBATIM, you can spend more time working on inspections rather than trying to learn the knowledge for them. And trust me, the less you have to worry about while you are there, the better. It is a high stress environment, so set yourself up for success by preparing ahead of time.

jtmedli

pilot
I'm starting Candi-O when I go back after Christmas and a few things that have been clutch for me were:

1) Spray Starch: Don't bring that sta-flo shit, just bring 2 or 3 bottles of spray starch and share with the company. Yes there is probably some there, but having your own make things easier and make you popular.
2) Blue Painter's Tape: Marking gear for RLP and marking all the broken crap in your hatch...and there will be broken crap in your hatch.
3) Clear Nail-polish: For then ends of your belts and belt-loops to keep those nasty little IPs from popping up on you. Some class teams won't allow it and others will.
4) A wrist-watch with an alarm clock on it AND battery powered alarm clock: If you wake up right at 0500 (reveille) then you're already late.
5) 2 extra white towels: You'll need the issued ones for RLP and doing laundry those first 2 weeks is tough.
6) GOOD BOOT SOCKS: Fox River or Thorlo boot socks will save your feet. My boot that I was issued suck and almost everyone's hurt their feet in one way or the other because you're on your feet for 16 hours a day (at least).
7) Toothpaste: You'll need the little issued tube for RLP.
8) Shaving Cream: Get the "gel" shaving cream for two reasons 1) When polishing boots you'll need it to get the clear-coat off of them 2) shaving (obviously).
9) Good White T-shirts/Undies: The white t-shirts and undies they issue you aren't very good so take some good ones with you.

Everything you're issued on day 1 is pretty much either too small to last you anywhere near 12 weeks or is needed for RLP so be weary of what you break out. I had enough stuff in my lucky bag that I didn't need any of that stuff and saved my self some grief when it came time for RLP.

Hope that helps. PM me with any questions.

NTXRockr

Alive and kicking...sort of.
^^^ Awesome gouge, thanks jtmedli. I'm starting my list of things to bring now (since the holidays are over but classes are still 3 weeks away) and will probably have my 'lucky bag' supplies ready to go in no time. I plan on keeping the rest of my civvy stuff, as well as what I'll need in Pcola if I have a quick timeframe after OCS, in my truck and only bring in what I need to have.

jtmedli

pilot
^^^ Awesome gouge, thanks jtmedli. I'm starting my list of things to bring now (since the holidays are over but classes are still 3 weeks away) and will probably have my 'lucky bag' supplies ready to go in no time. I plan on keeping the rest of my civvy stuff, as well as what I'll need in Pcola if I have a quick timeframe after OCS, in my truck and only bring in what I need to have.

Just know that POV runs aren't a guaranteed thing so make sure you have everything you might need in that lucky bag.