• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What does the Navy background check consist of?

skittle986

Ensign, Civil engineer corps, U.S Navy.
I am a female currently waiting for my finalsel. I was pro recd in october and was told by my recruiter that my background check is holding up my finalsel. I email her every week to remind her to check to see if my status has changed and this past week, she said that there was a change but still no select letter yet. I am just curious to know what the whole background check consists of, what do they look at in regards to your background. I know there is the medical and criminal, but what else?

Crewguy02

MT1/SS
They also sometimes go through and interview people you know. They look at your credit history and verify that everything you put down in your application is correct. It can be a time consuming evolution. I have guys showing up to my command after finishing bootcamp 6 months ago and still only have a probationary clearance (I think thats the term) simply because everything has been finalized. If your background is clean I wouldn't worry. I came in with a drug waiver and everything still worked out.

exNavyOffRec

It is not uncommon for FS letters to be held until a few months before OCS, since CEC is a small community a person can wait several months before getting an FS letter.

The investigation just has to be "open", and all that consist of is OPM receiving the SF 86 and all the needed signature pages, "open" doesn't mean they have to have started the interviews.

Renegade One

None
I am a female currently waiting...
Good intro factoid, and thanks for that, but"female" is irrelevant to your situation.

...my background check is holding up my finalsel. ...I am just curious to know what the whole background check consists of, what do they look at in regards to your background. I know there is the medical and criminal, but what else?
What everyone else posted above is "spot on". I expect you were asked to list a number of folks on your "SF-86" background investigation form…neighbors, friends; former employers/supervisors; etc. They will interview as many of those folks as seem to make sense…in addition to the pro-forma "NAC" (National Agency Check) for legal issues, credit history, etc. Don't really know as they get into medical…but maybe.

The "Ivory Soap" equation pertains…99 and 44/100 % of most applicants have little to fear…other than the time it takes for the investigators to get through all of the packages, with budget reductions, etc. I know that part can be frustrating, but it is what it is. Hang in there…probably no worries.

skittle986

Ensign, Civil engineer corps, U.S Navy.
@Crewguy02 @NavyOffRec Thank you so much for that info, it is greatly appreciated as my original recruiter transferred and the new one that I have is very vague with her responses. My background is clean so Im at ease to hear that I shouldn't worry. I also didn't realize that CEC was a small community. Go figure :)

@Renegade One Thank you for you advise as well. I thought i would put "female" in there because I thought that maybe there were additional medical clearances that may have to be checked (Obgyn). I guess I was wrong :) But thanks for the additional info, now i can just continue my PT and wait. :)

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
I don't believe there is such a thing as a "medical background check" which is why people on the forums constantly have to tell applicants to be honest about their medical history. The only medical stuff that will be relevant on your security clearance is psychological or psychiatric. So if you had nothing to report there, then there is nothing for them to look at. It is up to you to disclose information or hand over medical records when they want them for the rest of your medical history.