• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What a bitch

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Just a heads up for all you PRKers out there. My recruiter and I looked at the NOMI stuff and determined that for my specific pre-op eye conditions, I could apply for SNA after 3 months post-op. I ended up getting the application in around 4 or 5 month post-op. I submitted my eye records and the first, second, and third month checkups -- no big deal, I got selected SNA. Everything is great, right?! Right.

The bad part is that MEPS has some stupid form that the doctors need to fill out and they want it to include your 6 month exam. Now, my 6 month exam is week after next, so it's not a big deal, I'll just schedule MEPS right after that...but I thought I would give you guys a heads up in case anybody was in the same boat as I am/was.

Anyways, that's all. Have a good day!

Logan

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
The bad part is that MEPS has some stupid form that the doctors need to fill out and they want it to include your 6 month exam.

MEPS pioneerd stupid forms for the militay. I don't know why they'd want post-op documentation of your EYE SURGERY...you're just asking to be a pilot. Be prepared, you'll be providing post-op reports for at least the next 5 years.

srqwho

pilot
My '6 month' exam was more like 5.5 month exam because that was when they could fit me in. If you really want to get to MEPS earlier than you probably could get away with scheduling the exam a littler earlier, but again that's how it worked out for me...

On a side note, I just saw the eye doc the other day to make sure my eye pressure and other stuff was in order before OCS. I tested at 20/10 and am happy as a clam with my vision; definitely the best 5 thousand I've ever spent.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Oh, I am just totally amazed with my results every day, I can't agree more. The only drawback is the dry eyes, but I suppose it's not too big of a deal. Are we allowed to take a bunch of eye drops to OCS, or will they flip?

Technically my 6 month checkup should have been in November, but I pushed it back because (a) I didn't think the Navy was in dire need of it, and (b) I have to go all the way to San Diego for it.

Stearmann4, aside from say...an initial flight physical, what else am I going to need to provide post-op reports for?

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
Stearmann4, aside from say...an initial flight physical, what else am I going to need to provide post-op reports for?

Every year you take a flight physical, your eyes will get checked for anomolies associated with the PRK. I used to have to get checked every 6 months (in between flight physicals), but that's when they weren't quite sure of the long term effects on PRK for aviators. It might be more main stream now.

utak

The bad part is that MEPS has some stupid form that the doctors need to fill out and they want it to include your 6 month exam. Now, my 6 month exam is week after next, so it's not a big deal, I'll just schedule MEPS right after that...but I thought I would give you guys a heads up in case anybody was in the same boat as I am/was.

Logan

That happened to me when I was being cleared for Dive Status a while back. BuMed wanted my old PRK doctor to fill out paperwork and all of that jazz . . .

. . . except my doctor was dead.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
that's a terrible thing to laugh about, but i chuckled when i read your post, nick.

Flyer09

Final Select NFO
Same happened to me. My OR and I were planning on MEPS right after PRO-REC and getting that out of the way while I waited for my 6 month check up. MEPS sent my file back saying they wanted my 6 month check up to be included before they would schedule me.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Yeah, I'm not their biggest fan. Oh well, I got my 6 month done last week. Hopefully this will serve as a good heads up to all future applicants with PRK.

brownshoe

Contributor
Opps, sorry... This thread isn't what I thought it was going to be about. From the title, I figured you had met my ex-wife.;)

Steve